Bumblefoot Drama

VyInRI

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
My white Silkie hen has managed to get bumblefoot on both her feet. I'm quite offended by it; I try my hardest to keep her coop and run super clean and free of materials that can cause injuries, but...it's clear as day.

I know everyone says you can treat it yourself, but honestly, the thought of pulling those plugs from her feet makes me nauseous. I can deal with poop all day long but I have a very weak stomach for this. I do have an avian vet. My best bet is to call the professional in, yes? I can handle changing her bandages and reapplying antibiotic sprays, but the actual removal...I am not that tough.

Also, will I have to separate her? I only have the two hens and I don't want to cause any additional stressors to my girls, but if the vet gives me an antibiotic for her, I can't let the other girl get to it, right?

This is my first experience with bumblefoot and I'm so stressed. Help and advice are appreciated.

If you can't do the 'surgery' it's time to call the vet. Can you post pictures of her feet? If the infections are small you can soak in Tricide-Neo solution for fish.

Don't separate her from her buddy. Chickens need other chickens to be around. They're very social.

What are you using for bedding? How high is the roost for nighttime from the floor? Is the roost sanded smooth?

She has an appointment with the vet Wednesday. The floor of the run and the floor of the coop are covered in aspen shavings, and she and her flock mate do not roost. They sleep in a huddle, and the coop floor is leftover vinyl from my kitchen. Also, the ramp is not rough. She is not limping, and she eats and poops and lays eggs normally. I have bandage wrap and Vetericyn spray ready to go once her feet have been cleared out. I just want to make sure it gets done properly, so I'm having the vet do it.

Back
Top Bottom