She was likely offering help based on the title of the post. And it's an excellent comment for those of us experiencing bumblefoot for the first time. The OP originally thought she had a BF issue so no reason to call out someone trying to help based on the OP's post title.
Cynthia, thank you so much for your photos and assistance regarding bumblefoot. I'm curious though, what the little circle tool with teal handle is? I don't have one of those but I have sterile surgical blades, Vetericyn, Neosporin without pain relief, non stick gauze, and vet wrap to take care of my sweet boy's bumble. Will that work just as well? I was thinking I would soak in Epsom salt bath, then carefully cut at the scab and squeeze out the infection. Then I was planning to use Vetericyn to wash out the wound, pack with neosporin, and then gauze and wrap in vet tape. Will that all work? I wish there was a product that we could safely numb the area with. I'm afraid to hurt my beautiful boy. :'(
Thank you for your input.
Yes, the OP did have Bumblefoot in their title. Titles are often wrong and more than often just say "HELP". So it's good practice to get photos and more info upfront. Not always, but...
Anyway, Going by photosOP provided (Photo and POST#3), that was not Bumblefoot but SLM instead, so the initial photo did not match the title at all.
15 Posts LATER (Post#18) the OP finally provided info about the Bumblefoot, this is when treatment options would be given.

Do you have a thread of your own about your rooster? If not, then you may want to start your own thread with photos, info, etc.. This way you will get input for your specific problem and rooster. Just tag Cynthia to ask her your questions.

The tutorial Cynthia provided is good and it all should be put into an article and submitted to the learning center. This way we can all access the info and link it for those that are looking to cut out bumblefoot instead of using an non-invasive approach.
Where do you see Bumblefoot in the OP's photo?

Good tutorial and photos for Bumblefoot, but not for SLM!

View attachment 2993371View attachment 2993372 Have the above things ready. View attachment 2993374View attachment 2993375 Put chicken under towel..head covered. I soaked their feet in warm water with epsom salt in it. The scab becomes soft.View attachment 2993380 I take the puncher..punch into the middle of scab. View attachment 2993381 This girl had a big one line yours. It took a lot to get the plug out. That white stuff stays, don't pick it out or cut it out. View attachment 2993383 I'm putting Neosporin inside of it. View attachment 2993384 Cover it with gauze. View attachment 2993385 Wrap it fully.View attachment 2993386 Tape it well. All around. View attachment 2993387 Uncover her. Let her get her shroudings. View attachment 2993388 She will be confused for about 10 minutes, the others curious..lol...then she's off eating in no time. Good luck.
What does the plug look like? How do I know I got it out? And where did you buy that green tool?

View attachment 2993371View attachment 2993372 Have the above things ready. View attachment 2993374View attachment 2993375 Put chicken under towel..head covered. I soaked their feet in warm water with epsom salt in it. The scab becomes soft.View attachment 2993380 I take the puncher..punch into the middle of scab. View attachment 2993381 This girl had a big one line yours. It took a lot to get the plug out. That white stuff stays, don't pick it out or cut it out. View attachment 2993383 I'm putting Neosporin inside of it. View attachment 2993384 Cover it with gauze. View attachment 2993385 Wrap it fully.View attachment 2993386 Tape it well. All around. View attachment 2993387 Uncover her. Let her get her shroudings. View attachment 2993388 She will be confused for about 10 minutes, the others curious..lol...then she's off eating in no time. Good luck.

Where did you get a puncher like that I need one

Last edited:
Here's an example..just search for biopsy punch...mine was green, doesn't have to be green.
Screenshot_20220413-192233_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It might be a good idea to get two different sizes. There were a couple of times I needed a smaller one than what I had. It's best to get that bumble foot taken care of as soon as possible, before it gets huge and waay u comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom