That's pretty darn swollen for mites, but if so, I always used something that folks can't believe works..but oh boy does it! I buy the lice spray from a pet shop .says for canaries..works great on chickens too.. imagine that!

20180320_150755.jpg

This stuff is cheap, works great, and easy to apply. Great for mites on their skin too. I spray under their tummy, on the bottom, under wings, neck, behind neck. Easy to do, easy on them.

That's pretty darn swollen for mites, but if so, I always used something that folks can't believe works..but oh boy does it! I buy the lice spray from a pet shop .says for canaries..works great on chickens too.. imagine that!
Scalys do get swollen a lot. Some worse then others. Heres a bad one. (Off google, not mine)
305DCC74-1AAE-476B-88A4-13DC2F124184.jpeg

IMG_2362.JPG
thank you all so much for your help! :) she does have scaly leg aswell wich im in the process of treating too. the bottom of her foots a little dirty and it doesnt seem that swollen in the photo, but im sure its bumblefoot. im scared to cut it out though 😭😭😭 but i guess there is no other choice :( thank you guys again for all your help 🤗🤗

View attachment 2993413thank you all so much for your help! :) she does have scaly leg aswell wich im in the process of treating too. the bottom of her foots a little dirty and it doesnt seem that swollen in the photo, but im sure its bumblefoot. im scared to cut it out though 😭😭😭 but i guess there is no other choice :( thank you guys again for all your help 🤗🤗
She does have Bumblefoot on the bottom of the foot.
Of course you have a choice whether to cut or not.
Take a Non-Surgical Approach as show in this article. https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/

You may have to soak more than once! Nothing is usually ever resolved with one soaking. You will have to tend to the feet daily.
Treat the Scaly Leg Mites as described previously (quoted below). SLM can and do infect and eat into the feet. They live under the scales of the legs and feet, they are microscopic and need to be smothered with the oils. Work the oils under the scales of the feet.
The top of the foot is not Bumblefoot - Your hen has Scaly Leg Mites, that's what all that crusty stuff is.
Clean the legs and apply vaseline, castor oil or NuStock to the legs. Work the oil up underneath the scales of the legs and feet. Apply the oil/vasline or cream at least once a week. As the legs heal, those crust will fall off.

Where do you see Bumblefoot in the OP's photo?

Good tutorial and photos for Bumblefoot, but not for SLM!
She was likely offering help based on the title of the post. And it's an excellent comment for those of us experiencing bumblefoot for the first time. The OP originally thought she had a BF issue so no reason to call out someone trying to help based on the OP's post title.
Cynthia, thank you so much for your photos and assistance regarding bumblefoot. I'm curious though, what the little circle tool with teal handle is? I don't have one of those but I have sterile surgical blades, Vetericyn, Neosporin without pain relief, non stick gauze, and vet wrap to take care of my sweet boy's bumble. Will that work just as well? I was thinking I would soak in Epsom salt bath, then carefully cut at the scab and squeeze out the infection. Then I was planning to use Vetericyn to wash out the wound, pack with neosporin, and then gauze and wrap in vet tape. Will that all work? I wish there was a product that we could safely numb the area with. I'm afraid to hurt my beautiful boy. :'(

Back
Top Bottom