puffthechicken

Chirping
Jan 22, 2022
HELP!!!
My chicken has a massively swollen foot, but only a small bumblefoot scab. About a month ago i soaked it in epsom salts and luke warm water, but it didn't really do anything and the swelling has gotten much worse. What should I do? Any advice would be immensely appreciated!! 😭😭🙏🙏

Bumble Foot (2).JPG
Bumble Foot.JPG
Have the above things ready.
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
Put chicken under towel..head covered. I soaked their feet in warm water with epsom salt in it. The scab becomes soft.
IMG_0446.JPG
I take the puncher..punch into the middle of scab.
IMG_0447.JPG
This girl had a big one line yours. It took a lot to get the plug out. That white stuff stays, don't pick it out or cut it out.
IMG_0448.JPG
I'm putting Neosporin inside of it.
IMG_0450.JPG
Cover it with gauze.
IMG_0451.JPG
Wrap it fully.
IMG_0452.JPG
Tape it well. All around.
IMG_0454.JPG
Uncover her. Let her get her shroudings.
IMG_0456_1.JPG
She will be confused for about 10 minutes, the others curious..lol...then she's off eating in no time. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0442_1.JPG
    IMG_0442_1.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 24
View attachment 2993362 i dont know how good this picture shows it but her foot is pretty swollen. I only soaked her foot once however- wich i guess didnt help it. Should I begin to soak her foot regularly? If so, how often?
What does the bottom of her foot look like?

The top of the foot is not Bumblefoot - Your hen has Scaly Leg Mites, that's what all that crusty stuff is.
Clean the legs and apply vaseline, castor oil or NuStock to the legs. Work the oil up underneath the scales of the legs and feet. Apply the oil/vasline or cream at least once a week. As the legs heal, those crust will fall off.

It's possible that she may have Bumblefoot too, let's see the bottom of the feet.

What does the bottom of her foot look like?

The top of the foot is not Bumblefoot - Your hen has Scaly Leg Mites, that's what all that crusty stuff is.
Clean the legs and apply vaseline, castor oil or NuStock to the legs. Work the oil up underneath the scales of the legs and feet. Apply the oil/vasline or cream at least once a week. As the legs heal, those crust will fall off.

It's possible that she may have Bumblefoot too, let's see the bottom of the feet.
Thats what i had thought, but i didnt want to say wrong info. Scaly leg mites tottally different

View attachment 2993371View attachment 2993372 Have the above things ready. View attachment 2993374View attachment 2993375 Put chicken under towel..head covered. I soaked their feet in warm water with epsom salt in it. The scab becomes soft.View attachment 2993380 I take the puncher..punch into the middle of scab. View attachment 2993381 This girl had a big one line yours. It took a lot to get the plug out. That white stuff stays, don't pick it out or cut it out. View attachment 2993383 I'm putting Neosporin inside of it. View attachment 2993384 Cover it with gauze. View attachment 2993385 Wrap it fully.View attachment 2993386 Tape it well. All around. View attachment 2993387 Uncover her. Let her get her shroudings. View attachment 2993388 She will be confused for about 10 minutes, the others curious..lol...then she's off eating in no time. Good luck.
Where do you see Bumblefoot in the OP's photo?

Good tutorial and photos for Bumblefoot, but not for SLM!

That's pretty darn swollen for mites, but if so, I always used something that folks can't believe works..but oh boy does it! I buy the lice spray from a pet shop .says for canaries..works great on chickens too.. imagine that!
Scalys do get swollen a lot. Some worse then others. Heres a bad one. (Off google, not mine)
305DCC74-1AAE-476B-88A4-13DC2F124184.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom