Bumblefoot gone bad

Pics

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
I need help! My daughter showed up at my house this afternoon with a hen who has what appears to have started as bumblefoot. It was not treated and now her whole foot appears and smells to be rotting. She is still eating, drinking, and is very mobile, but this is BAD! I was able to remove the seed from the bumblefoot itself, but I’m not sure what to do with the rest of the foot. Here is what I have done so far:
Epsom salt soak for 20 minutes
Removed bumblefoot seed (see pic 1 at top)
Poured peroxide into open wound to boil out infection
Squeezed out all the pus and infection I could (the hole in the front of her bad goes all the way through and comes out the side). I also used a q-tip to reach down into the wound and scrape out all the dead tissue (see pics 2 & 3)
Another 15 minute epsom salt soak
Sugar packed and wrapped wound (see pics 5-7)
Gave .5cc of penicillin g
E4A2380E-5EC0-47F2-8A6B-8A0C2EE5C22E.jpeg
57ADDB77-D6A5-4D67-8CFD-ACAD4F6D5A87.jpeg
8CC8A941-2FC5-4E5A-892A-5FBB4C93EB42.jpeg
765FC3C9-5AFF-4072-9556-637DF4DDFC00.jpeg
8FB1A4A1-9BA7-4758-958A-5923F208AAA5.jpeg
2A960954-8197-467A-B481-2D61931AA980.jpeg
DA7E8C98-1AED-47FD-A1C2-536C140D15A9.jpeg

Am I missing anything? Is it worth continuing to treat or is she too far gone?

Attachments

• 6A17E686-7B54-4167-8A31-6A18B4661328.jpeg
    6A17E686-7B54-4167-8A31-6A18B4661328.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 0188DC0C-99E5-481A-9BCB-1A9F1EAD3C42.jpeg
    0188DC0C-99E5-481A-9BCB-1A9F1EAD3C42.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 17
Oh my you are at a good start I would also start her on baytril I believe let me check and use this it works well. Since she is still mobile drinking and eating I would say your in the clear.i would keep trying...just curious how did it go so unnoticeable for so long? I would check the rest of the flock also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211220-144611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220-144611_Chrome.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 15
I need help! My daughter showed up at my house this afternoon with a hen who has what appears to have started as bumblefoot. It was not treated and now her whole foot appears and smells to be rotting. She is still eating, drinking, and is very mobile, but this is BAD! I was able to remove the seed from the bumblefoot itself, but I’m not sure what to do with the rest of the foot. Here is what I have done so far:
Epsom salt soak for 20 minutes
Removed bumblefoot seed (see pic 1 at top)
Poured peroxide into open wound to boil out infection
Squeezed out all the pus and infection I could (the hole in the front of her bad goes all the way through and comes out the side). I also used a q-tip to reach down into the wound and scrape out all the dead tissue (see pics 2 & 3)
Another 15 minute epsom salt soak
Sugar packed and wrapped wound (see pics 5-7)
Gave .5cc of penicillin g
View attachment 2934745View attachment 2934746View attachment 2934748View attachment 2934750View attachment 2934751View attachment 2934752View attachment 2934753

Am I missing anything? Is it worth continuing to treat or is she too far gone?
I am sorry penicillin not baytrill

Oh my you are at a good start I would also start her on baytril I believe let me check and use this it works well. Since she is still mobile drinking and eating I would say your in the clear.i would keep trying...just curious how did it go so unnoticeable for so long? I would check the rest of the flock also.
When my ex husband and I divorced, I had to leave my flock behind. He asked me a month or so ago about a weird spot on her foot and I told him it was probably bumblefoot and it would need to be treated. He tried to catch her but she was too quick for him so he said he would keep an eye on it. Fast forward to yesterday he texted me and said she wasn’t getting around well and asked me if I would treat her. I said sure, thinking it would be a simple fix. As soon as I got close to her, I could immediately smell the rotting flesh. Once I turned her over and could clearly see it, I immediately knew it was really bad. It wasn’t really noticeable from the top of the foot, and she was eating and drinking like normal so he thought she had been getting better.

When my ex husband and I divorced, I had to leave my flock behind. He asked me a month or so ago about a weird spot on her foot and I told him it was probably bumblefoot and it would need to be treated. He tried to catch her but she was too quick for him so he said he would keep an eye on it. Fast forward to yesterday he texted me and said she wasn’t getting around well and asked me if I would treat her. I said sure, thinking it would be a simple fix. As soon as I got close to her, I could immediately smell the rotting flesh. Once I turned her over and could clearly see it, I immediately knew it was really bad. It wasn’t really noticeable from the top of the foot, and she was eating and drinking like normal so he thought she had been getting better.
I would check the rest of flock but she has hope just keep treating and maybe use the tips I gave you. And when soaking in Epsom I am sure you know but use warm to hot but not to hot water to help drain

Keep us updated please

Back
Top Bottom