Bumblefoot Questions?

harvey

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
South Florida
Hello,

I have a hen with Bumblefoot. She's been limping for maybe a month. Recently her limping has diminished greatly. A couple days ago, I read the sticky here on Bumblefoot and I believe I'm capable of the procedure. My questions before I start cutting are ;

1. Does Bumblefoot ever get better by itself?

2. Can the procedure be done by one person alone?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Chris

1. Does Bumblefoot ever get better by itself?
I honestly don't think it does

2. Can the procedure be done by one person alone?
Yes, once the birds head is covered they pretty much chill out and lay there

No and the severity of infection, you may be able to do it by yourself. It is much easier with 2 people and you have moral support. My husband and I just finished a bumblefoot procedure and the plug was the size of a quarter. It was our 2-3 attempt on this girl and I finally let it get larger and we cut it right out. She's a sweet heart and doing well. I'll post my pictures if they come out clear. There is a post on page 21 from 8/29/09. Check it out. Do lots of reading. Good luck.

The size of a quarter? Poor girl. Poor you and your husband. That was a doozie. I'm glad you finally got it all out and hope she has a speedy recovery.

When I put them to bed, she was on her roost and looking pretty comfortable. My husband is home tomorrow and and check in on her. I'm hoping to get all feet cleared up before winter. 2 more to go.

Bumble foot is a staph infection. You should always wear gloves to protect yourself when treating bumblefoot. It is caused by punctures to the skin on the bottom of the chickens foot. The punctures can be large or small and can be caused by rough roosts (always sand your roosts smooth) small prickers, sharp stones or even tiny pieces of glass. Anything sharp.

The staph gets inside, multiplies and causes the infection.

Back
Top Bottom