Bumblefoot removed but no kernal came out despite major swelling.

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
Hi everyone!

So, last year I had done Brownie's bumblefoot procedure for the first time. During the process no corn kernal had come out.

I did the process again 2 days ago after lots and lots of warm water soaks for many days and removed his scab. A bit of infection like thing came out but it was very thin and small (there was a crater in his foot around 2 mm big after the removal) and his foot pad still remained swollen and tough to the touch. This makes me suspect that there is a kernal inside but I haven't been able to remove it.

I don't know.. I could be wrong. What do you all think? I'm attaching pictures of his foot and the scab for you all to see.

I'll unwrap his bandages tomorrow to inspect his foot.
20201001_201506.jpg

20201001_201826.jpg
20201001_201745.jpg

Really? That's awesome!

But I'm confused as to why it's still so swollen.. any ideas?

You may find this reassuring:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

If it returns, another approach other than surgery/digging is to use the Epsom salt soaking and PRID for a couple days, which is an inexpensive drawing salve that helps move infection closer to the surface of the skin so it can break through and be removed. You can always resort to surgery and digging, but since this has now happened more than once to Brownie, here's an alternative.

People use it for drawing out all kinds of gross things. I would not use it on open tissue (like where Brownie's foot is now, in the healing stage) - here is a video that outlines how it's used on bumblefoot to make extraction easier. In the process of using PRID, there may be a day or two where swelling increases, which is the infection coming closer to the surface and is supposed to happen.

The product reviews are ... icky ... so if you have an aversion to discussions of boils, cysts and things like that and what comes out, perhaps avoid it, but I'm linking to the reviews below:

https://www.amazon.com/Smiles-Drawi...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

You may find this reassuring:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

If it returns, another approach other than surgery/digging is to use the Epsom salt soaking and PRID for a couple days, which is an inexpensive drawing salve that helps move infection closer to the surface of the skin so it can break through and be removed. You can always resort to surgery and digging, but since this has now happened more than once to Brownie, here's an alternative.

People use it for drawing out all kinds of gross things. I would not use it on open tissue (like where Brownie's foot is now, in the healing stage) - here is a video that outlines how it's used on bumblefoot to make extraction easier. In the process of using PRID, there may be a day or two where swelling increases, which is the infection coming closer to the surface and is supposed to happen.

The product reviews are ... icky ... so if you have an aversion to discussions of boils, cysts and things like that and what comes out, perhaps avoid it, but I'm linking to the reviews below:

https://www.amazon.com/Smiles-Drawi...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews
Hi!

Thanks a lot for this. I went through the video and I have seen this one before.. but the product is not available in my country. I'll try to see if I can find one like it and share with you.

I actually did soak Brownie'sfoot in warm water bath for many days and before the procedure too (for 20 minutes).

During the procedure there was no bleeding, but when I opened his bandages yesterday I found them red from blood. He had jumped a few days back which I think caused his wound to bleed. I'm attaching pictures for you all to see.

I cleaned his wound with betadine and applied neosporin ointment and wrapped it up again. Should I be doing anything else? I'm giving him vitamins daily for better immunity.
20201004_204958.jpg
20201004_205026.jpg

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this. I went through the video and I have seen this one before.. but the product is not available in my country. I'll try to see if I can find one like it and share with you.

I actually did soak Brownie'sfoot in warm water bath for many days and before the procedure too (for 20 minutes).

During the procedure there was no bleeding, but when I opened his bandages yesterday I found them red from blood. He had jumped a few days back which I think caused his wound to bleed. I'm attaching pictures for you all to see.

I cleaned his wound with betadine and applied neosporin ointment and wrapped it up again. Should I be doing anything else? I'm giving him vitamins daily for better immunity. View attachment 2361352View attachment 2361349

It looks to be healing really well, I'd keep up your treatment plan! The main ingredients listed for PRID are Arnica 3X HPUS, Calendula 3X HPUS, Carbolicum Acidum 2X HPUS, Echinacea Ang 3X HPUS, Hepar Sulph Calc 12X HPUS, Ichthammol 2X HPUS, Silicea 12X HPUS, Sulphur 12X HPUS in looking around for one that might come close.

Another option for stubborn bumblefoot is sugardine. Plain white sugar mixed with betadine, applied to the lesion and bandaged and wrapped. I just pack the wound with the sugar and then drop a drop of betadine in and then bandage since it's so small. If you can get duoderm bandages there, those work really well to cover and keep it moist. It inhibits bacterial growth and will help. It's used often in horses for hoof infections and thrush. I'm treating a roo right now with it for bumblefoot that has been very stubborn and difficult to treat, it's the only thing I've had success with for him despite trying everything else you can think of. It's slowly healing. Some bumbles can take quite a while to resolve, I've had one take over a year, and the roo I'm treating now is in the third month.

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm trying to find silver sulphadiazine in my nearby stores.. Let's see if they have it. As for sugardine.. wow I did not know about that!

After Brownie's surgery, I had cleaned out the hole in his foot with betadine only and then put neosporin ointment on it And bandaged it.

Right now I've opened his bandages since his wound has healed, though the scab has come back.. sigh.. and his swelling is still there and very very hard. I just have no way of telling if it is due to constant pressure on the foot or if it is a giant kernal in his foot.

The bumblefoot on his other foot is also growing and I'll be removing it in some days. I really hope that this one heals quickly. The other bumble (the big one) has been persisting for more than an year and it hurts him. My stupid roo has a habit of jumping on cold hard floors, which I think really adds to his injury and causes further problems.

I'm attaching pics taken today of his feet. Please let me know if any of you see anything worth noting.

Foot with the major swelling and giant bumblefoot. The scab is back again sigh..
20201017_215830.jpg

The other foot with a smaller bumble, but it's still getting too big.
20201017_215931.jpg

I have a roo that has bumblefoot for the third time, so I know how frustrating it is. I think because their feet are bigger and there is more tissue that maybe it contributes to it being worse to get rid of, and the heavier weight puts more strain on their feet particularly when jumping. Last time around it took over a year for my roo to heal, current treatments have been going on for about 3 months, it's slowly, slowly getting smaller. This time for him, sugardine is the only thing that has worked at all. If I finally manage to get rid of this one I'm considering putting him in a boot 24/7 to help protect his feet. http://www.hensaver.com/Birdy-Bootie.html
Both of those look like they need to be cleaned out again. Frustrating, I know.

Back
Top Bottom