Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

We have our first case of bumblefoot. I checked all our hens, and we were lucky that it was just one.

We will be doing the surgery tonight. I have the epsom salts to soak the foot to soften it up. We have the self wrap and gauze with neosporin. I have a question about Tylan. I read to treat if infection doesn't clear. Do we give the hen the shot or the foot?

We are changing out all our roost. I think ours were too thin.

Last question: If another hen doesn't have the sore but her pad is swollen, should we go ahead and give her the antibiotic or just keep an eye on her?

Dont use tylan, it is for respiratory diseases. I dont recommend an antibiotic, it is not necessary if you remove the infection. See post #253 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/303829/vet-suggestion-for-non-invasive-bumblefoot-cure/250

Question. I have a couple of hens with the telltale black scab to various degrees on their feet but no noticeable swelling on any of them, not anything nearly like the pictures I see. Do they still need the tissue removed? At what point is it necessary and is there ever a time when it's best to let it be and simply keep an eye on it?
If they aren't limping I leave them alone.

-Kathy

Wildsam, I've got one like yours too. Last night I spent an hour (and lots of blood) and got out a soft kernel. I worked on the foot for another 40 minutes and didn't get anything else. Today he won't even put the foot down. I wonder if I got it all but it's hard to tell with the swelling.

Epsom and ointment I don't think is the wonder combo, but typical treatment. I have Epsom salts gel that I slather on and wrap every day for 5 days before I even start. It's like 24 hour soak. They make it for horses (Magna paste?) . Sometimes it helps. I think next time it will be the Epsom gel and the little home made donut that someone recommended that is placed around the scab area to help the bumble work to the center.

I have the feeling that bumblefoot goes hand in hand with some underlying low immunity. My chronic had about 5 in her life and died of aspergillosis. This one is a probable Marek's . I have another one who has several and I think she has chronic aspergillosis as well.

I wish I had a bumble queen nearby!

With Pen G I draw up my .5 ml of med, then I draw up .2 of sterile saline and use a 23 gauge needle. That .2 of saline thins it out just beautifully for a higher gauge needle.

I would never use triple antibiotic ointment for open wounds. This poultice, and Epsom salt/ betadine soak can actually prevent the need for surgery in cases where the bumble foot is just starting.

Help! I just noticed this the other night. 2 or 3 days ago I cut it open trying to drain it, but I couldnt get any pus out of it. I put iodine ointment on it and wrapped it today I opened it up again & this is what it looks like:

That's pretty ugly. If it was mine, I would clean it daily, maybe soak it in warm epsom salt bath every day, then put some neosporin on it and keep it clean by wrapping it up well. Check it daily.

Back
Top Bottom