Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Here is the link to the two penicillins: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

I am sorry I can't find the other stuff. I read so many different things yesterday in a panic from four different sites. I am so pleased that it isn't affecting the flock, and I don't want a return. It has rained a lot here this summer, and we were using the small posts for roosts. We are swapping them out today. Not a lot of rocky terrain, but a lot of trees and fallen limbs.

The area affected is the bottom with a small scab on both feet. The rest of the foot is good.

I can't remember which of the four sites I was reading about the Tylan, but I remember several threads talking about it. (it stuck in my mind because we have Tylan on hand)

We hve penicillin too but I'm unsure which kind. My husband is good with all that though.

Penicillin G or the Procaine either will work,, I have given mine procaine with out any side affects from the cain side.. Dosages are on the chart you listed.

Someone here on BYC just lost their rooster after giving a penicillin shot, so beware, procaine toxicity is real.

-Kathy

We've had to give penicillin in the past. My husband is really good with animals. I don't think I could do it, but he should've been a vet. He raises and trains hunting dogs. Between the dogs (right now we have 7), the chickens, the rabbits and the guineas, I fl like Old McDonald's wife. He started looking at donkeys for our field, and I begged him NO!

He did the surgery. My job was to keep her calm and cover her eyes while she laid on the side. I was very pleased with that job since I would vomit and pass out.

He did both feet. The black spots weren't large, and there was a small infection in one. She was a trooper. We got them cleaned out, patched up, penicillin shot and put in the hospital hutch. I put shavings in it with a water bottle and feeder. Today I put a frozen soda bottle in it to keep it cool. She's up walking around. Going to clean it tonight, put more ointment and wrap her back up.

I was thinking that I might let her out tomorrow afternoon when it cools down for her to run around the back yard which is plush grass. Would that be okay?

I have a hen with bumble foot on both feet. I tried to get the plug out and couldn't get it out of either one. So I have bandaged her up and I am giving her antibiotics and in a small pen. I don't know what to do to get the plugs out at this point. Should I just keep soaking her feet and rewrapping?

I have a hen with bumble foot on both feet. I tried to get the plug out and couldn't get it out of either one. So I have bandaged her up and I am giving her antibiotics and in a small pen. I don't know what to do to get the plugs out at this point. Should I just keep soaking her feet and rewrapping?

Yes, I have read you need to soak the foot often, work on it awhile, soak again etc. Soaking in warm epsom salt is best. Try squeezing and lifting the edges of the plug while squeezing.

Last edited:
I have worked on my hen for three days now and I still can't get a plug or kernal out. I feel like I am torturing the poor girl now. The swelling seems to be down though. I think I will just keep soaking and not open it up anymore.

Back
Top Bottom