Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Quote:
I actually got a ton of stuff out when I did hers. Two pretty big size kernels of crap. I looked at her foot earlier and I think there might be a piece way up between two of her toes, so I guess I'm gonna go in through the top this time. Would do it now, but I'm waiting till my dad gets home cause he's gonna get the dog kennel out of storage and I'm gonna keep her in there tonight and tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her.

If there is swelling between the toes - go through the top of the toe, right down the middle of the most swollen part. Kernels can develop between the toes and not affect the pad at all. It sounds like you got it all out of the pad but it had spread to between the toes.

Yea, there was a big chunk that came out from between the toes when I did it a week and a half ago. Feeling it today though it felt like there might be another, small piece. Gonna go in through the top...just got finished scrubbin the kitchen sink out. Do you think I should put her back out after I'm done, or keep her in since she's limping pretty badly? Thanks for all your help Ruth!

Quote:
If there is swelling between the toes - go through the top of the toe, right down the middle of the most swollen part. Kernels can develop between the toes and not affect the pad at all. It sounds like you got it all out of the pad but it had spread to between the toes.

Yea, there was a big chunk that came out from between the toes when I did it a week and a half ago. Feeling it today though it felt like there might be another, small piece. Gonna go in through the top...just got finished scrubbin the kitchen sink out. Do you think I should put her back out after I'm done, or keep her in since she's limping pretty badly? Thanks for all your help Ruth!

I find that being with their "family", their flock, helps them to heal better than isolating them which seems to stress them. I vetwrap the foot and send them back to the coop. Take the wrap off after about three days and I've never had to fool with one a second time.

Quote:

Her limping might be caused by a tight bandage perhaps? I did wrap a hen's foot a little too tightly once and it was turning blue and it swelled up a bit. Have to emphasize to not wrap tightly. Just an idea.
idunno.gif

Quote:

I find that being with their "family", their flock, helps them to heal better than isolating them which seems to stress them. I vetwrap the foot and send them back to the coop. Take the wrap off after about three days and I've never had to fool with one a second time.

Alright...I'm just a hovering momma I guess. I got the crate ready for her in case she needs it. Earlier she was pretty reluctant to walk and wasn't standing on it, so I'll go with the flow and see if my motherly instinct tells me to keep her in for a day or two.

Using the information in this indespensible thread on bumblefoot surgery, we performed our first surgery on one of our chickens.

Poor Phoebe. It's bad enough she's going through a ghastly molt, to have to suffer this added indignity seems truly unfair.
43104_9-12-10_phoebe_molt_2.jpg

This was Phoebe 11 days ago, you can see the left toe but no obvious swelling:
43104_9-4-10_phoebe_molt_belly2_21.jpg

I noticed that the top her left toe was very swollen today and there was a circular lesion on the pad of her foot. While the telltale black spot was absent, we think it is because we caught it early. Phoebe is a bantam Cochin Frizzle and her tiny parts were tricky to work on. We did remove the "kernel" looking thing inside but did not get too much after that. We bandaged her up as in the thread above and are letting her rest in a crate inside for the night as she was wet and it's a little chilly out tonight.

The offending pad and circular lesion:
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot.jpg

The top and side view of the swollen toe:
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_2.jpg

Cutting the circle around the lesion with a new, sterilized blade:
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_3.jpg

After having removed the crusty lesion:
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_4.jpg

43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_5.jpg

We didn't have to do too much digging to get to the hard, "kernel"/aka: "plug" that is described in the thread above and it came out easily:
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_7.jpg

43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_8.jpg

The "kernel"/"plug":
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_9.jpg

It's always recommended that you wear the appropriate attire to perform surgery on your chickens. (and this was the last I saw of my husband before he had to go sit down on the couch for a while, looking a little, um...pale):
43104_9-15-10_phoebe_bumblefoot_10.jpg

Last edited:
Toast'n Jelly :

Quote:

Her limping might be caused by a tight bandage perhaps? I did wrap a hen's foot a little too tightly once and it was turning blue and it swelled up a bit. Have to emphasize to not wrap tightly. Just an idea.
idunno.gif

I did the initial surgery back on the 5th..it was wrapped until the 8th at which point I took the wrap off and it looked fine. She didn't start limping till yesterday. Thanks for the thought though!

Quote:
Ruth, we owe you a debt of gratitude for showing us how it's done.
bow.gif
I'm certain I wouldn't have had the confidence to even consider performing this procedure without your instructions. Thanks a MILLION!

Last edited:
Quote:
Ruth, we owe you a debt of gratitude for showing us how it's done.
bow.gif
I'm certain I wouldn't have had the confidence to even consider performing this procedure without your instructions. Thanks a MILLION!

Glad to be of service. I just want everyone to know that they too can do this. Bumblefoot is a common occurence and there's no need to spend a fortune on a vet (heck most vets won't touch a chicken and probably wouldn't know what to do anyway) and I certainly hate the idea of putting a bird down or watching it go lame when there's something that can be done.

Great job!!!!

Back
Top Bottom