Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Hello, I have been trying to research my turk's feet problems and have come to the conclusion it may be bumble foot. he's been lame for 5 days now I move him from place to place, but I dont know what to do. The local vets and feedstores just laugh at me and say EAT HIM!!!
he.gif
He has done this before..his leg swells up and he just lays for a few days and I soak his legs with cold water then he seems to feel better. I appreciate this blog SO MUCH, THANK YOU. I just have a few questions, I can still do this with a turkey right? the neosporin and the epsom salt wont hurt him?? And also..since the feedstores all say just feed him chicken variety..is that enough protein for him? He is 3 years old and weighs almost 55 pounds!!!! How do I put him on a diet?? I put up the dog dishes, since he is always eating their food and scraps...he seems to have lost a little weight, but I would like him HEALTHY and happy again. And assume the lighter he is, the easier on his feet. I appreciate anything you have to say and again, I am GRATEFUL for this Bumblefoot Article. :) thank you
smile.png

I just read your post and I'm not 100% positive that the neosporin and Epsom salt won't hurt your big guy. But I really don't think it will as it seems like the feet of chickens and turkeys are pretty similar. I have approx 70 chickens and just incubated 6 turkeys, 4 domesticated and 2 wild, so I will be looking for information about the care and nutrition of them as well.

As for the feed, I'm afraid I'm not the least bit helpful or knowledgable there but I have every confidence that someone from backyardchickens.com will be able to help you.

I would love to see a picture of your big guy and I wish you luck in finding the information you need to take care of him.

Sincerely,
Brenda

Hello, I have been trying to research my turk's feet problems and have come to the conclusion it may be bumble foot. he's been lame for 5 days now I move him from place to place, but I dont know what to do. The local vets and feedstores just laugh at me and say EAT HIM!!!
he.gif
He has done this before..his leg swells up and he just lays for a few days and I soak his legs with cold water then he seems to feel better. I appreciate this blog SO MUCH, THANK YOU. I just have a few questions, I can still do this with a turkey right? the neosporin and the epsom salt wont hurt him?? And also..since the feedstores all say just feed him chicken variety..is that enough protein for him? He is 3 years old and weighs almost 55 pounds!!!! How do I put him on a diet?? I put up the dog dishes, since he is always eating their food and scraps...he seems to have lost a little weight, but I would like him HEALTHY and happy again. And assume the lighter he is, the easier on his feet. I appreciate anything you have to say and again, I am GRATEFUL for this Bumblefoot Article. :) thank you
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry no clue about what turkeys eat, but I would think that there should be turkey food available?? I know you can buy game bird food and it has a higher protein content....around 18% I think. Anyway there are some turkey threads, where the turkey experts hang out. You should ask your questions there. Just click on the forums button at the top of your screen and scroll down to other backyard poultry....then over until you find turkeys or something. Hope you get some answers.

Well I went for my first bumblefoot surgery today and I think it went well, once I cleaned her feet off I realized there was also a very small bit on the other foot, I now have both feet wrapped and she is eating not walking to much but has taken a few steps :)

So im kinda curious as to does this cure itself. I never never noticed it before on my hens but today i have a hen overheat and a brought her in and she re-hydrated and ate and started walking, but i wanted to keep her inside overnight just to be on the safe side and gave her a bath when i notice the bumblefoot. So i went out and checked on my girls outside and a few of them outside have it. None of my other silkies have it tho. Most of my hens i cant just walk up to and pick up. Only my brahma's i can. None of them have swelling in the top of there feet just the black scab. So is this new or could they have had this for awhile and me not know it and does it cure itself sometimes. Im going out of town tomorrow and cant treat it till monday =/. Any help would be great.

LAST FALL MY LEGHORN HAD THIS AND SO FOR THREE DAYS - TWICE A DAY WE GAVE HER A SHOT OF PENCILLION IN THE FOOT. WITHIN TWO WEEKS THE SWELLING WAS DOwn, and she was doing good. Well its back -- so I guess I will try your method. All I have beendoing is giving her feet a good soak in warm water with epson salts. She is a good hen and also one of my favoites, I think I will cage her for a while after I try and do this. Ugh!

based on my experience bumble foot is common among roost located higher in the coop considering the weight of the bird when they fly in the roost located in a higher portion there feet tends to be injured added by poor wet litter flooring infested with bacteria infects the traumatized or injured opening wound in the feet of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom