bumblefoot surgery

lynviviana

Chirping
Jul 4, 2021
I dont want to perform this procedure but a few of my chickens are really swollen and i feel i must remove the problem. it is the black callous and the yellow part, the corn thats remove? I fear going in too deep.

Yes, the scab is removed, and most bumblefoot infections have a yellow waxy core inside. Sometimes soaking the foot for a few days in warm Epsom salts water, then removing the scab will allow you to squeeze out the core without surgery. But some go ahead and do the surgery, since they cannot take the time to deal with soaking, etc. There are a number of different ways to treat bumblefoot.

I dont want to perform this procedure but a few of my chickens are really swollen and i feel i must remove the problem. it is the black callous and the yellow part, the corn thats remove? I fear going in too deep.
It's not fun but you can do this. And infection in such a small animal can be deadly. There is a top covering and underneath is the yellow part. There are videos on YouTube that will walk you through step by step. A good place to start is putting them in a tub with warm water. It will soften the foot. You will need a helper.

Yes, the scab is removed, and most bumblefoot infections have a yellow waxy core inside. Sometimes soaking the foot for a few days in warm Epsom salts water, then removing the scab will allow you to squeeze out the core without surgery. But some go ahead and do the surgery, since they cannot take the time to deal with soaking, etc. There are a number of different ways to treat bumblefoot.
Ok. That is my concern.. i have several that developed bumblefoot it takes up so much of my time. I've been splitting the work. taking care of the most severe cases and leaving the ones that are barely developing with no swelling. Its frustrating.. feel terrible about it. Am I not cleaning enough?? I buy shavings pretty often to fill a certain spot they love to hang out on. The rest of the coop is pretty fluffed up and clean with shaving. The run is large mostly filled with dirty. Grass has dried up and looking to improve.. having a difficult time.

Back
Top Bottom