Bumblefoot surgery

duckmommy22

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
Hi,
My female Pekin Daisy had 4 black scraps 2 on each foot I did Epson salt soak and have removed the scabs also been applying neosporin. They look to be getting better accept for this one big one. My question is should I lance it and empty it or leave it be? When I removed the scabs nothing came out of any of them.

I added pictures showing the scabs Friday and then the big one today that I’m worried about. It feels semi hard kinda squishy

Attachments

• IMG_4440.jpeg
    IMG_4440.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    614.7 KB · Views: 3
The tissue around the scabs appears to be inflamed. This inflamed tissue is slow to resolve, but it should in time. Meanwhile, resoak the feet in Epsom salts with a healthy dash of Dawn detergent. The Dawn is very high in surfactants which make water "wetter". It will dissolve the scabs, turning them into mush that can be scraped off with a finger nail. After removing the dissolved scabs, be sure all yellowish waxy pus is also removed. Any stringy white stuff can be left alone. Going after that stuff needlessly harms the foot more.

Then spray with Vetericyn wound spray, let dry and pack generously with antibacterial ointment. Place gauze over the wounds and wrap securely with elastic Vetrap but not so tight it cuts off circulation. Check the foot in two days to see how it's healing. Take a photo of it and post here and we'll help you decide if it's healing okay.

Back
Top Bottom