Bumblefoot treatment and follow up

Henny_in_Tenne

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2019
DBB57E56-D965-4F68-A87B-99EF12242139.jpeg
Hi all. My chicken has Bumblefoot. I soaked her foot in an epsom bath, cut out the kernel, rinsed with iodine, coated with triple antibiotic ointment and bandaged it up. Other than cutting the kernel out, there was no other pus that I was able to extract. I’m new at this so I’d like to ask what I should be looking for now. Should I get antibiotic from the vet? Should I soak her foot again tomorrow and try to extract more? I’m a new chicken momma so I’m looking for words of wisdom.

When I went to soak her foot again today I noticed there is still a lot of swelling. It seems like there is still pus in there which I was unable to get out. I cleaned it up as best I could, reapplied antibiotic ointment and bandaged. What more should I be doing?

When I went to soak her foot again today I noticed there is still a lot of swelling. It seems like there is still pus in there which I was unable to get out. I cleaned it up as best I could, reapplied antibiotic ointment and bandaged. What more should I be doing?
Can you get a picture of what it looks like now?

7CE717FF-6B17-467D-A666-91B945382D7E.jpeg
8913412A-3DE1-473C-8828-3620387FE2B5.jpeg
Hi. I was finally was able to get her when she went to roost this evening. Here are two pics of her foot. The swelling MAY be down a bit, but I don’t feel like I’ve gotten all of the infection out. She’s a trooper - still scratching, pecking, eating and drinking with the flock, but I feel like I’m not doing a good enough job to ensure her health. As I said before, having chickens is new for me and I feel so much responsibility to get it right. Any advice is welcome. Animal stewardship weighs heavy.

I can't see the hole part too well but I think it looks good.
You are doing a good job.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom