Bumblefoot - what else can I do to prevent

Thanks so much for your reply. So do you feel like you need to remove the scab and pus even if it is a small scab without swelling?

Do you know how quickly this infection goes from minor to fatal?

You don't mention soaking or antibiotics, but a lot of other people do.

Thanks!
How soon bumblefoot goes from modest to severe depends on the individual and their immune system. I've never had a bumblefoot patient die from it. I have one hen who had a severe case when I adopted her. I treated her, and still am, two years later. She has chronic bumblefoot, and it doesn't seem to get any better, or any worse. She's a horribly uncooperative patient, so I only treat her when I have nothing more pressing since it's an ordeal for us both. I figure if she hasn't died of it by now, she isn't likely to.

I would keep an eye on the smaller bumble foot. It would be better to just get it over with and cut it out when it is small, however, they can heal from it on their own. Really its up to you, keep their area clean and soak their feet often. I like to us Tea-Tee oil to keep infections down:) Good Luck!

How soon bumblefoot goes from modest to severe depends on the individual and their immune system. I've never had a bumblefoot patient die from it. I have one hen who had a severe case when I adopted her. I treated her, and still am, two years later. She has chronic bumblefoot, and it doesn't seem to get any better, or any worse. She's a horribly uncooperative patient, so I only treat her when I have nothing more pressing since it's an ordeal for us both. I figure if she hasn't died of it by now, she isn't likely to.
Thanks, that makes me feel better!

This morning we worked on the austrolorp's feet and were able to easily remove the scab on one foot and my husband dug around but didn't see much in the way of pus or a corn, it actually looked like it was in the process of healing, so we put a bunch of antibiotic and prid on it, the other foot (the swollen one) definitely has a hard section, but the scab is very stuck on so we are going to see if the prids and other treatments make it easier to scoop everything out in a day or two. It is looking less swollen, so I think the epsom salt soaking and antibiotic is helping. Will look into that Koi treatment. Our other girl (Easter Egger we hadn't done anything to yet) feels like the most successful where my husband was able to get the scab off and the pus.

If I am able to get the antibiotic, does that mean we can't eat the eggs? And how do you feed a chicken antibiotics?

So grateful for this community!

You don't want to eat eggs tainted with antibiotics for the reason it sets up a drug tolerance and renders that drug less effective should you ever need it. But unless you're allergic, the small amount probably isn't going to make a big difference. However, selling your eggs or giving them away risks them getting into someone's body who is allergic.

Getting the antibiotic pill into the patient is a test of how much smarter are you than a chicken. I disguise it in a dab of peanut butter or just pull down on the wattles which forces the beak to open, and I slip it inside. Like cats a dogs, chickens will spit the pill out if they can. Be prepared to hunt for it where it fell and try again. :he

Could you maybe try just dissolving their pill in water or crushing it and mixing it with a handful of food or something? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom