Bumblefoot??

Mickey211

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hi everyone

please read,

I am new to chickens but know a few of the infections etc.

Today I decided to check my hens and I saw this on one of them I am not sure what it is but I think it could be bumblefoot. She hasn’t been limping that I’ve noticed It is on both of her feet none of my other 2 hens have this. Is it contagious?? And how do I treat it??. Please help as I want her treated and better ASAP

please help I am really worried
290136E5-1008-405F-973C-61DB8D00216C.jpeg
5BA11E91-5AF8-49A6-959A-FACD7DA37255.jpeg

Have you soaked it in Epsom salts yet? If you haven’t then do. It does look like she has scraped it on something. Is she limping? Is she in any kind of pain? Does her face, wings, tail, vent, or torso area look odd? (this question is purely a pro cautionary thing I think all of these should be normal). Bumble foot isn’t contagious, it’s just if it something else it might be, though I severely doubt.
Thankyou for the reply
No I haven’t soaked in Epsom salts yet, probably a really dumb question but how do you soak in Epsom salts do you just mix the salts into warm water and hold her foot in there for a while then squeeze out the stuff??
no she isn’t limping or in any pain no nothing else looks odd about her her chest torso wings and vent is all fine. Thankyou again

Before you know what it is you just put Epsom salts in warm water (no need to stir), then you gently swirl her foot around in it for a little while, then just leaving it there to soak in maybe swirling it around every so often. It’ll take as long at the chicken will stay there for, it should take at least 5 minutes. If the chicken is patent I’d do this about 20 minutes, though it can vary from chicken to chicken. Whilst you don’t know exactly what it is don’t squeeze, even if it is bumble foot don’t squeeze. I’ve had chickens with bumble foot, but Epsom salts has cured all of them. It does take a few days to work. I have never had an infection to this point, so I have no idea what to do after this. We will see how the Epsom salt foot bath goes, but you may need more assistance then I can give you.
Ok thankyou so much I will soak in Epsom salts for a few days and see if there is any improvement in the condition. Thankyou again

I've dealt with bumblefoot. As long as the footpads arnt swollen and no redness, dont mess with it. The scabs may disappear on their own in time. Inspect her feet again in about 5-7 days.
Use sandpaper on roosts to remove splinters and burrs, a couple swipes ought to do it. Also lower roosts if necessary.

Try to find the cause. Do you have sharp objects/edges that the feet could get cut on? Do you have an area of rocks the chickens are walking on?
Ok, the hen that it’s on likes to jump a lot could that be why?? I will have a look for any sharp objects or places where this could have happened thankyou

Ok, the hen that it’s on likes to jump a lot could that be why?? I will have a look for any sharp objects or places where this could have happened thankyou
Could be the issue is she doesn’t have soft landings and she is a big hen.
Your case doesn’t look to bad soaking won’t hurt anything if you want to give it a try. Could be you caught it as it’s going away and you have nothing to worry about.

Could be the issue is she doesn’t have soft landings and she is a big hen.
Your case doesn’t look to bad soaking won’t hurt anything if you want to give it a try. Could be you caught it as it’s going away and you have nothing to worry about.
Ok thankyou again, she is a fairly big hen I’ll try what i can but keep an eye on it. I want to try and keep it under control.

Back
Top Bottom