Bumblefoot?

Henrychics

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 17, 2012
My adult Peking duck started limping awhile ago and it appears she might have bumblefoot. I looked it up and this doesn’t seem like the bumblefoot I’ve seen pictures of. Any ideas what this is?

Attachments

• EFEA6CCB-270E-41D2-A7EC-F3D89767FC1B.jpeg
    EFEA6CCB-270E-41D2-A7EC-F3D89767FC1B.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 14
The photo is a little hard to see, is her foot muddy? If so can you clean it well with water and take another photo? I've done that by letting my duck play in a pool or bath of clean water and scooping them out and taking the photo before they have the chance to play in the mud.

Is what I circled a sore?

E7A5575C-FCFB-4B38-9E74-4729BE048BB3.jpeg

We've dealt with a couple of cases of what did turn out to be bumblefoot, even though that's not what it looked like to us (but we're also only 2.5 years into owning ducks). I wouldn't be surprised if that's what your girl is experiencing. If it were me and she isn't behaving in any strange way (she's breathing fine, eating, swimming, etc.), I'd try soaking her foot in warm water with epsom salt, at least a couple of times a day for 20 minutes or as long as she'll tolerate being still. If it's something like a splinter and not bumblefoot, the epsom salt may help push that out, too. Then dry her foot and spray with Vetericyn or Theracyn and if you can, wrap it with a bandage or if you have a booty, use that, and try to keep her out of the water. Those are my best suggestions but I'm sure other BYC members with more experience will have better ideas. I hope everything turns out fine!

Back
Top Bottom