Bumblefoot

chickenlove17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Two of my Rhode Island Reds seem to have a case of bumblefoot. I have only seen it on the inner pad of the foot. My chickens have it on the toe. Would that still be bumblefoot or something else?

[/IMG]

It looks like the early scab of bumblefoot. In the first picture, the toe looks very swollen, or is it? Most cases of bumblefoot in my flock have been from tiny cuts due to sharp rocks around my chicken yard, and I had to keep them raked up. High roosts are said to be another cause. I don't operate on each case since I have several with it, but when there is redness, a lot of swelling, or limping, then I do the surgery. Many use soaking methods with epsom salts or a product called TriCide Neo, but the surgery is less time-consuming for me. Procaine Penicllin G can also be given in some bad cases. Here is a very good link on bumble foot including a video on the surgery: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Yes it is much more swollen than the other toe. Thank you so much for your help. I did see one video where the scab was removed and the foot soaked in Epsom salt and water. Would that be able to be done in these two cases or do you suggest the surgery?

I can't advise you which method would work on your chickens, but if I thought the bumble foot needed treatment, I would probably do the surgery. One thing to not is that these are cause d by a staph infection, and pus is inside which may either be runny or a solid waxy kernel (or both,) depending on how long it has been there. Sometimes you have to do a lot of squeezing in many directions to get it out, or go a little deeper with the scalpel. If you have a vet available, that would be the best solution.

Back
Top Bottom