Bumbling with bumblefoot

turtlynne

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
AIKEN
It is laughable - Red(my 4yo RIR) has been limping - when I first checked about 2 mos ago no obvious injury or problem - well... I checked about 10 days ago - limping has persisted - and found the dreaded black scab - it is on one of her toes - not on the fleshy pad of her foot - so I soaked foot( today was soak 3/doing qod) - she is very cooperative in the dishpan(xcept for pooping in it) - not xactly good for an infection but heck, they are all HER germs! - she is not, however, terribly cooperative with inspection or treatment efforts,(and I am a lone chicken parent with no ready assistant - so am flying solo here). Even papoose wrapped she squirms - must admit she settles some after a minute or 6 - AND she does not want me to touch that foot. I dont believe anyone who says their feet are insensitive - she curls those toes and pulls foot away just like I would in similar circumstances - this hurts!(and I am being gentle) Anyway bcuz is toe I have not done the cut and squeeze (I have read many posts here and elswhere re bumble ft treatmnt)- have wrapped and neosporined site - fed her ampicillin x 4 doses(she'll eat anything mixd in can cat food) - today I am trying that trick of cutting a hole in a thin piece of a squishy pad to make the bumble pop out(I used styrofoam egg box bit!)- applying to area with hole centerd over bumble - more neosporin - bandage the waving madly appendage - not a very neat job but they do seem to stay on and I can put her back in the flock with all OK - LOL! The foot is not swollen or red but she still limps - mayb bcuz of the bandage?? - Haha! Oh the nonsense we go thru with our little flocks that we micromanage(I did not come up with that thought - was in a post I read) - mayb I should just leave well enuff alone after today!!

Back
Top Bottom