Bunny Breeds

Quote:
lau.gif

Herfrds, I'm sure you weren't trying to be funny, but going to a rabbit show is like being the proverbial kid in a candy store! Try to make a choice is right! I have been to many shows when shopping for new breeding stock, and it's always so-o-o hard to decide.

lovesduckies, I agree that dbunni got it right. I usually tell people that come to me looking for a pet, "open the cage, and see who comes to you. The pretty one hiding in the corner may come around, but why make it harder than it has to be? If you have a friendly one right there in your face, pick that one." Of course, it's always the "keeper" in the litter that tries to sell her/himself!
lol.png

AMEN ... to not going to the show up front. So much temptation! It even happens to the experienced people.... nothing worse than going to a national and falling in love with the expensive one!!! Yes, we came home from the Angora nationals this past year with a new buck! He's a GC now ... but just had to have his cute little body!

As for the "pick bunny" making sweets with everybody ... is that not why we want them too? Having Angoras, the doors are often open so the buns can hang out. As I walk through getting fuzzy kisses & nuzzles, it just reminds me why I love the breed.

Do your research. Pick the breed. Find the litter/breeders. Then start the visits. At this point a show can work... but I think it is best to see them in their comfort zone: AKA Home. Bunnies are more likely to show their true personality at home base. At a show they are often nervous, especially little ones. Don't buy the first bunny because you are there. Let the bunny find you.

Good luck ... oh how much fun this could be.

No i wasn't trying to be funny and yes I have been to shows expecting to pick up just one rabbit and leaving with 3.
big_smile.png

I wasn't saying go and buy buy buy, but at least go and get an idea of what breed you want. I know it is a great temptation, but it might help her to decide what breed she wants.

Best way to go to a rabbit show is to go with no money or checkbook.
wink.png

Well, I think a rabbit show would be the best place to purchase a pet rabbit from. Sime breeders also give pet quality rabbits away for free at them. Don't go for the first cute bunny you see though. Talk to the breeders, ask lots of questions, even watch some of the judging, etc, and go from there. www.arba.net is the best place to start. Also look at som eof their stock, an dmake sure its healthy. Like shelters, some breeders will treat cronic diseases to 'cure' the rabbit. If you see someone with rabbits that are sneezing do not buy from them.

I am getting two otter colored mini rex from a BYC member. I do really like that breed. I also love English Lops but dont have any currently.

Quote:
Check arba.net and see if you can find one int he area. If you like animal shows, once you go to one you tend to get hooked. lol.

If you ever come across any of these guys they are a breed that does make a great pet. Most are gentle. Though the doe pictured will bite. One of my top show does with her current litter. And the father. They are rare and called a standard chinchilla. Because their fur resembles that of the chinchilla rodent. you'd probably ony be able to find them at a show. Rarely at a shelter. Thet get a little bit bigger then a dutch.

bunniespaintings005.jpg

bunniespaintings006.jpg

bunniespaintings012.jpg

bunniespaintings011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom