Burdizzo method of Castrating -- How long until ya know

ametauss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Shepherdsville, KY
Two weeks ago I castrated a yearling since we decided not to breed him anymore and it was my first attempt...

I thought about taking him to the Vet but he wanted $100 to do him and the Burdizzo was cheaper...

I let him out after a week and he started to act a little Randy so I locked him up again... His testicles do look smaller but when will I be able to tell that I did it correctly???

idunno.gif

I would have banded but his testicles were TOO BIG to get thru the opening in the bander.... I tried one at a time to get them thru but he's really hung and there was NO way they were going thru...

Burdizzo was the only method left to me w/o having to buy a bigger bander and by that time it would have been up to the $100 that I could have spent getting the Vet to do it....

My Aunt suggested that I just use a regular ole rubber band but that just didn't seem like it would be tight enough and as I said he was really big... For a Pygmy he looked like he had a pair from a Boer goat...

hahaha yes sometimes you have to put them through the band one at a time...takes a little doing but it usually works.

Never use anything other than bands for castrating. Good choice on going with the burdizzo instead!

I would imagine they'll shrivel up if it took...that usually takes about 3 weeks with banding for them to shrivel...

yeah I band too, for the big boys though I had to buy a bander intended for bigger calves instead of the regular goat bander as I just cant get the big boys to "fit" in the little green bands. I just fixed my 3 year old buck yesterday so that he can live the spoiled wether life. But even then I wont allow him up in the girls pen for about 2-3 months to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom