Business Tax question....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jetlander, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jetlander

Jetlander In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    So who here has information on what needs to be done to sell eggs as a business? I plan on selling the majority of the eggs from 20 hens and I would like to do it as a small business. I have heard of opening a checking account under a business name and name myself as the sole proprietor. I do have 6 acres and I am under the impression I could write-off some of the property tax (I free range for several hours a day) as well as the feed and other supplies I use to keep the chickens. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    We have a decent size operation here, especially dealing with registered black Angus cattle. I think you should consult with your accountant who could fill you in on all the items that you can itemize for tax purposes. It amounts to quite a lot. Also, here where we live, if we make at least a certain dollar amount off agricultural sales, be it livestock or hay or whatever, we can get a much better tax rate for our property taxes. Here in Tennessee it is classified as "greenbelt property" and it has saved about 50% off what we would be paying tax on for the farm. [​IMG] It does not reduce the tax on the house though.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: