Butchering/gut photos

So.. stop with the candy, whipped cream cake and caviar for them then?

Seriously though, I feed mine pellets, and give them a few handfulls of scratch grain thru the day when I am home. 4 chickens get 2 sometimes 3 if I am outside all day hands of scratch. Is that too much treats?
Yes...too much.

By handful I mean I reach in with one hand, grab some and let them eat it out from between my fingers, I don't mean huge scoop of grains. It's not 10 percent of what they eat, now that I think, maybe 5 percent, ill have to check tomorrow with a scale and see. Im curious now.
Aaron
Basically ten percent would be about a tablespoon worth.

Ok. 4 chickens, get a bowl of food every day. The bowl it turns out holds a pound of food. That's all I feed them, and they free range. I have found that if I refill the bowl, they will eat about half again that food, and then poop all night leaving me a bigger mess to clean up in the morning. SO one bowl it is for them.

The scratch grains now. One big man child's hand full of grain. I honestly thought it was going to weigh more, it turns out to be just under an ounce So lets call it 5 to 6 percent of their diet for the scratch.

Didn't realize that grains were all that bad for them. I mean, if you make your own food, you use corn, rye, sunflower seeds, etc. ie a lot of grains and maybe some alfalfa, along with calcium of course.. I'll have to cut back on it then.

Aaron

Well darn it, I can't help myself. Let me grab a flash light, go pour some food onto a scale and see. LOOK at what ya'all making me do now! Geez can't a guy get any sleep! :p

Aaron
On average a full grown chicken should eat a quarter of a pound of feed. 1/4 pound.

Get your feed and measure that much out do you can see with your own feed/eyes. Then divide it up into ten piles.

Ok. 4 chickens, get a bowl of food every day. The bowl it turns out holds a pound of food. That's all I feed them, and they free range. I have found that if I refill the bowl, they will eat about half again that food, and then poop all night leaving me a bigger mess to clean up in the morning. SO one bowl it is for them.

The scratch grains now. One big man child's hand full of grain. I honestly thought it was going to weigh more, it turns out to be just under an ounce So lets call it 5 to 6 percent of their diet for the scratch.

Didn't realize that grans were all that bad for them. I mean, if you make your own food, you use corn, rye, sunflower seeds, etc. ie a lot of grains and maybe some alfalfa, along with calcium of course.. I'll have to cut back on it then.

Aaron
They don't need scratch. They are better off eating only the complete balanced feed.

I mean, if you make your own food, you use corn, rye, sunflower seeds, etc. ie a lot of grains and maybe some alfalfa, along with calcium of course.
A lot of people make their own feed and have no idea how poor quality feed it is. The corn and sunflower seeds are low protein high fat foods that need to be limited. Some add in flax seed which is another 50% fat food.

Of course if your object is to get them fat in a hurry for processing, corn works fine.

Back
Top Bottom