Butchering your roosters!

IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
I have 3 spitzhauben Roos. They r a flighty skinnier bird. 4 months old. Should I wait for them to get fatter or do you think they would be ok to do now. I was trying to give the away but no luck so this may be my only option.

I see a lot of people offering free roosters so often. One or 2 roosters are really easy to butcher! Or, if you don't want to butcher them, you can bring them to a butcher for fairly cheap. Their meat is not as good as broilers, but in a dish (stew, chicken pie, etc.) They taste very good! I will be butchering my extra roosters.
There are most likely not many people who want your roosters, since they most likely can get them to breed from a hatchery.
I just wanted to share my opinion, because I don't like seeing all the people desperately trying to sell their roosters.
I can't agree more. It has always frustrated me that people can't handle butchering their own birds that they know have had a great life, but yet they're fine with buying inhumanely raised chicken at the store, that came from who knows where. I killed and butchered some roosters this spring for the first time (my family has butchered chickens for years, this was just the first time that I have done the killing myself) and it really wasn't bad at all. I used the chopping block method, and it was all over in a minute. They made some excellent chicken soup.

(not trying to offend anyone here, this is just my opinion. :) )

I can't agree more. It has always frustrated me that people can't handle butchering their own birds that they know have had a great life, but yet they're fine with buying inhumanely raised chicken at the store, that came from who knows where. I killed and butchered some roosters this spring for the first time (my family has butchered chickens for years, this was just the first time that I have done the killing myself) and it really wasn't bad at all. I used the chopping block method, and it was all over in a minute. They made some excellent chicken soup.

(not trying to offend anyone here, this is just my opinion. :) )
I couldnt deal with the emotional part of it

I have 3 spitzhauben Roos. They r a flighty skinnier bird. 4 months old. Should I wait for them to get fatter or do you think they would be ok to do now. I was trying to give the away but no luck so this may be my only option.

Depends on what you want to do with them. At 4 months you're approaching the end of the fry or grill tender stage but they can be stewed at any age.

I couldnt deal with the emotional part of it

Not trying to be rude but there are plenty of other forum sections to have philosophical conversations about meat eating. This is the meat bird section. It's kind of settled here. We talk about dinner. When you come here to talk about cruelty, it really looks like you're picking a fight.

Back
Top Bottom