Butchering

LeenaB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
I butchered my first quail today. I had a male that wouldn't stop attacking everyone. I even tried rotating other girls in with him and removing the ones he left bloody.

Anyway today he met my came sheers.

This was the first time I've culled and butchered anything (it was my exs duty before).

The only part that I found really difficult was the warmth of the bird. Is it okay to cool it down with cold water after beheading it? Or will it make peeling the feathers and skin off difficult? I did the peeling method instead of plucking it.

Thanks-

It's easier IMHO to peel while they're still warm, but it's not impossible to do it if they're chilled first. The bigger reason to do it quickly after culling is to keep the bacteria that's naturally present on the skin and in the gut from migrating to the edible portions of the bird. When an animal is alive their immune system keeps everything in balance but once they're dead those bugs go lookin' for trouble.

Thanks fosterson- I didn't even think about the bacteria. The germaphobe in me will just suck it up and peel the quail warm. I think I just got over being squicked out by peeling warm quail. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom