Butt check?

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Does a butt check work on ducks to determine laying capacity? My two muscovy females still not laying...?They are free range except for night when they're in the coop and I have been feeding layer feed which they seem less interested in than the maintenance feed. I've noticed they are pretty good at running from the drake when they (often) don't want mating. But then he is not the most gentle of drakes. I noticed blood on the tail feathers of the smaller hen when let out of coop yesterday. It seems fine today (after yesterday hosing off). I think perhaps tat could have been him trying to catch her. Perhaps they're stressed?

Does a butt check work on ducks to determine laying capacity? My two muscovy females still not laying...?They are free range except for night when they're in the coop and I have been feeding layer feed which they seem less interested in than the maintenance feed. I've noticed they are pretty good at running from the drake when they (often) don't want mating. But then he is not the most gentle of drakes. I noticed blood on the tail feathers of the smaller hen when let out of coop yesterday. It seems fine today (after yesterday hosing off). I think perhaps tat could have been him trying to catch her. Perhaps they're stressed?
I believe they are seasonal layers so it may not be time yet.

I believe they are seasonal layers so it may not be time yet.
Mine don't lay in the winter, and have only JUST started laying now, although I've seen a lot of mating. Only a few eggs so far, but hopefully more soon.

Some will lay throughout the nice weather seasons, some only for a clutch or two. My three females last year each sat a clutch, and the eggs weren't fertile, and never laid again after.

Ok thanks. I feel better. I just don't get why they don't seem to want calcium or this layer feed. I want to make sure they're not stressed in any way.

Back
Top Bottom