1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buttercup comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greeneggs444, Jan 3, 2012.

1. greeneggs444

greeneggs444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    ive heard of buttercup combs but i didnt know what they looked like. ive seen diagrams but i hadnt seen the 'real deal'. pictures?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's a nice collection of photos . [​IMG] Shows the breed that is known for them and some closeups on the comb.

3. Teva

Teva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Shelton, WA
    Hi Illia, I'm your Olympic Peninsula neighbor!

So I picked up a couple of 10 week old chicks today, and the CL advert said they were New Hampshires. I've only been in the chicken business for about 4 weeks, so when I looked up the breed, I just payed attention to what they look like as adults. When I picked them up, I thought, hm, they look like a clean shaven EE mix....but did that leghorn cockeral pick out their combs or what?

So here is what I brought home with me today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, apparently they are Buttercups! I did tons of looking up on byc tonight. Love this website!

But I don't think they are actually 10 weeks yet? They still look pretty scruffy, and their heads should be golden by now then too, right? I'm thinking maybe 8 weeks? Either way, I love them! And as 'rare' as they seem to be, I'm pretty sure I got them for a steal. Serves 'em right for not paying attention to the breed genetics! Can't wait to show them at Mason County Fair this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by