Buttercups

cathunter10

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Piedmont, MO.
My wife ( Fuzzy Butt Betty) wants to Get some buttercups,As a new comer to this breed What do I need to know And where do I purchace them from to get good quality of birds.As you all know its eazer to just get the birds than to argue with FUZZY BUTT and still end up getting them.
Bill

Quote:
Since the comb looks oval with ribs around the edges, they very well may be Buttercups! I have 3 buttercups, 2 pullets and one cockerel. This is my advice: treat them sort of like a cat - don't force them to be held by you longer than they want to be (only long enough for you to look them over or whatever, but they need to know that they can come close to you then decide to back off), and feed them treats from your hand (like live mealworms) once they get old enough to have them. I didn't do those things right with my cockerel, and he's very skittish, but I got my pullets later, and they will run right up to me and hop into my lap to see what I have. They can FLY, like onto the top of my shed which is 6 feet tall at the lowest point of the roof. And they're more independent than the rest of the flock (like they will wander off in the yard by themselves during free range time, when the rest of the flock sticks together). Super cute chick, by the way!

Beautiful birds. Generally pretty flighty. Dependable layers of medium sized white eggs. There aren't many sources for good ones. There's a Buttercup Club website. You might find some sources there.

Hello NYREDS,

I was wonderring if you knew of the Buttercups, web site? I am having a hard time finding it.

It would be greatly appreciated by me & that other guy that lived here ...
lol.png

FuzzButtBetty

Quote:
Because the Buttercup is a Mediterranean breed, coming from a hot climate they should mature quickly.
A fellow BYCer (I can't remember her username) had Buttercups, her pullets started laying at about 24-26 weeks.

Be sure to take a look at the feathersite, great information there as well.

Good Luck!

We have two Buttercups in our flock of 16.

They are generally friendly, nice birds. Smaller in size/weight than the rest.
Much more agile and can be airborne a little longer.
Eggs are very pretty but a little on the smaller size, but regular layers

Watching their combs develop is really cool.

We got ours from a commercial hatchery with the rest of the flock.

Have fun!

I had 2 hatchery girls, but one got egg bound and died at about 1 1/2 years old. They are super layers- especially when it gets really hot in the summer and the other girls slow down. They aren't as afraid of people as say some leghorns can be. I've really enjoyed having them in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom