Button quail and Chuckars.

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
Does anyone know if you can keep Button Quail and Chuckars together? I'm going to have to build a new pen so I can get some Button quail, but I would also like to have a couple Chuckars. I don't think I can convince my dad to build two new pens. Also does anyone know how much room Button Quail are supposed to have inside and outside their coop? And lastly, can Button Quail live outside in the winter if I put a heat lamp in their coop?

The size difference would make it very difficult to house the two species together. Button Quail are small enough to live in an aquarium, and from what I understand, do better indoors - summer and winter. You may be able to keep Coturnix Quail with the Chukars.

Don't know about the button and chuckars but we had three bobwhites hatch and one died so it was down to two. And they were in an aquarium next to the chicks who where in a clear tub and they where just frantic! Crying and running back and forth so I put them in with the three chicks in that tub and they dove under the biggest chick and snuggled in for the night happy as can be! The are now the happiest little quail you ever saw! I watched them for awhile to make sure they wouldn't get picked on. I relly didn't think it would work. But they must be odd balls and think they are really small chickens!
lol.png

Button quail and Chuckars do not mix. Button quail are very small and require special housing because of their "panic attacks" when they get scared (i.e. padding on cage ceilings). The quail also require indoor housing when it gets cold. Chuckars can get very aggressive with other species so it is likely they would not mix well with the quail. My suggestion if you want to get both is to keep a few buttons inside and have the chuckars outside in a nice aviary.

For more info on button quail check out this great site: http://www.cyberquail.com/

I would not keep Chukar with any other species that are smaller or similar in size, it would be a recipe for trouble.

Button Quail can be kept outdoors and do very well in a planted aviary, but with other small species (finches, doves, etc.). Will need protection in the winter. I have housed with Roul-roul Partridge and Grey Peacock-Pheasants, species they would encounter in the wild and in the same habitat, all did very well together as they are docile species.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom