Button Quail Chicks and Curled Toes - SO TINY

ThetaSigma

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2014
Seattle, WA
I hatched seven of twenty eight shipped button quail eggs a couple of days ago. I think around eighteen made it to lockdown. Unfortunately two failed to thrive and one died today very suddenly (I believe she aspirated, because her entire chin was covered in fluid). Of the remaining four, three have very badly curled toes.

I had my mom turning the eggs while I was gone for a few days, and I told her she only needed to do it once a day. I knew that was cutting it close, but as I said, it was only for a few days. I thought I'd mention this, although it may not be relevant.

Hatch day came around and passed. My temperature is at 102.5 in my still air incubator, with two thermometers always in there, and another I use for testing as well.
They hatched two days after they were supposed to. A day after that I eggtopsied the remaining eggs. Five or six others had developed fully, but never pipped at all. One or two had pipped internally, but never continued, and I think there was one that was externally pipped but also failed to continue. The rest had been sketchy already, and most had stopped at day 2-3, or 5-7.

Anyway, the three chicks with curled toes, have been walking on their ankles, with their feet curled inward. The toes are rather stacked, but the chicks get around perfectly. I made them boots, but it is just SO hard to put them on such tiny feet. The ankle joints are relatively stiff at this point, although I do physical therapy several times a day to allow the joint to function.

Is it possible to wait a little while. continue the foot massages and then put the boots on when they're about a week old? At that point they're feet are a bit bigger and easier to work with. If it's not a good idea, does anyone have any suggestions?

It's really dark, but I'll try to get some pictures in a minute.

I started the massages on this one on the day of hatch. I mostly did the right side and got distracted. You may be able to see the difference.

I don't know how to help you, but I do admire that you are doing something for them. Quail are so very tiny. I have heard that crooked toes goes back to the temp in the brooder getting too high at some point. But I have not been able to verify for myself, so it is just a thought.

You are a very kind and caring overseer of you flock,

RJ

I do try. Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough, but I hope to make them comfortable and happy.

I may try splinting individual toes next, using tape or bandaids. It's scary to handle them when they're so small, though. My first button was a singleton, and is very friendly. He's about four weeks old, and he started out with curled toes too, but it resolved very quickly. I'll be trying the individual toes, and then if that doesn't work, I will most likely continue the massages until the feet are a bit easier to handle.

Here's a picture of my singleton baby currently. I believe he's full size. I had been hoping for a hen, but I think it's a boy. My moms boyfriend named him Spankie.

I would DEFINITELY call a local BIRD VET and ask them what to do..my local bird vet has been an invaluable resource when it comes to my chickens and poultry etc....if the toe curling is reparable it would need to be done ASAP since the bones in the tiny chicks fuse together very quickly. They may be able to advise you of the correct way to splint the feet.
( If needed you may need to tell them you are unable to bring the bird in due to finances or whatever you want to say to get them to advise you something over the phone )

Good idea CollegeChicken. I'll try to find one nearby, but that's unlikely. Most likely it'll be hours away, and I'll have to call. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll also be getting a few feet of vetrap if I can.

Back
Top Bottom