spiffyvanspot

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Hi there! I'm new to BYC although I have been a lurker for a couple years now- since getting my first buttons.

I have been struggling with poo and paper bedding getting stuck to their toes and I've been diligent about washing their feet. My one girl lost a toe before I noticed, unfortunately. She seems fine now!

However, I have been wanting to switch back to wood bedding. I have just started to use CareFresh Plus whuch is softwood with some paper bedding. I found out on a guinea pig forum that the siftwood was confirmed to be Western Hemlock, Spruce and Devil's Fir - I am wary of pine and cedar from my history of having rodents. But it seems some of my buttons are eating it!!! It's very finely shaved and I bet it feels better on their feet than bigger shavings. But I worry about their health, especially their crop and stomachs!!! Can anyone inform me if this is normal and non-life threatening? Or if bigger shavings, like aspen, would be better? :confused:

Thank you so much!!!

I'm personally not a fan of the fine bedding for the problems that you're having, more of a pine shavings person.
But then again I raise chickens so hopeful someone with quail can help

How'd she lose a toe? It isn't infected is it?

I've used bigger pine shavings and sawdust type pine and they much prefer the finer stuff as they can dustbathe in it. I think it dries out the poop more quickly as well. I've seen them picking through it but I've never had any issues with them eating it, even with the babies. I started sprinkling a bit of millet through the bedding so they had something to find which they seem to love. I like it better than bigger shavings as it's much easier to vacuum up. :lol:

They're chicks, right?
It is fairly normal for chicks to eat bedding, but if that's all they're eating, or if the bedding is toxic, it's not okay. You can cover the bedding with paper towels for a few days until they know what is and isn't food.

I've used bigger pine shavings and sawdust type pine and they much prefer the finer stuff as they can dustbathe in it. I think it dries out the poop more quickly as well. I've seen them picking through it but I've never had any issues with them eating it, even with the babies. I started sprinkling a bit of millet through the bedding so they had something to find which they seem to love. I like it better than bigger shavings as it's much easier to vacuum up. :lol:
I like the millet idea!

I use Aspen shavings. Never have had them eat it. Males will pick it up and try enticing a hen but that's about as far as it goes. Like the earth smell, better than pine.

I'm personally not a fan of the fine bedding for the problems that you're having, more of a pine shavings person.
But then again I raise chickens so hopeful someone with quail can help

How'd she lose a toe? It isn't infected is it?

I'm hesitant to use pine or cedar because of it's oils and odour.

The circulation was cut off from the bedding and poo sticking to her small toe. It fell off and healed fine. I kept a very close eye on it to ensure there was no inflammation or infection. I have heard similar stories from other quail owners.

That's the thing! I love the finer stuff because it compacts nicer and is better for their feet. My one pair used to be on wood shavings a long time ago so I don't understand why they're eating it now. I also love sprinkling millet and seeds throughout and watching them scavenge - they love it!

They're chicks, right?
It is fairly normal for chicks to eat bedding, but if that's all they're eating, or if the bedding is toxic, it's not okay. You can cover the bedding with paper towels for a few days until they know what is and isn't food.

They're adult button quail. Never had a problem until now :(

I use Aspen shavings. Never have had them eat it. Males will pick it up and try enticing a hen but that's about as far as it goes. Like the earth smell, better than pine.

I think I will have to try that, and use the bedding I already have for my chinchilla. I have used aspen in the past and I remember it being fine.

Back
Top Bottom