Button quail enclosure setup help

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I am setting up my button quails enclosure. They are 5 weeks old and are done with their brooder. Does anyone have pictures of their setups? What do your quails like? Hide outs? Fake plants? Real plants? Dust bathing stations? Any thing else? Newbie here, so have no ideas.....any general tips? Or things I should or shouldn't do? I am planning to separate them into pairs and one trio when they start fighting. I will sell all but one pair.

this is my set up. It isn't the best, but it keeps out predators. i have a cat litter box without the flap for their sand box and an upside down box for a stool to get into the sand box. another upside down box is attached to the wall for a hidey hut. to keep them from making their water really dirty i have it on top off an old take out container. at night i put old grill racks on top to keep the wind from blowing the tarp away. The tarps keeps them safe from the rain and wind.
IMG_1515.JPG

this is my set up. It isn't the best, but it keeps out predators. i have a cat litter box without the flap for their sand box and an upside down box for a stool to get into the sand box. another upside down box is attached to the wall for a hidey hut. to keep them from making their water really dirty i have it on top off an old take out container. at night i put old grill racks on top to keep the wind from blowing the tarp away. The tarps keeps them safe from the rain and wind. View attachment 2171113

I also put food and water on top of takeout containers lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/21837639
this thread has some cool button housing ideas
my buttons are currently outside in my pergola style sub-aviary but for indoor housing, you can use aquarium, bird or small animal cage, or custom-built cage housing with fake plants, and hides. guinea pig and small animal housing can be used (fake logs, igloos, etc or you can make them from dollar store containers. you can provide small dust baths etc, but keep extra clean and watch feet for build-up as button quail foot spa days are no fun!!

oh. sorry. i forgot to say that they're coturnix quail. They live outside year round. in the winter i put wind blockers on their cage so that the wind doesn't get to them. They also have a wind hut made from a cardboard box in the winter. I only give them a heat lamp when they're little chicks. They don't go outside until they're about 4 weeks old.
edit: I've never had button quails before. They look cute though.

I keep my buttons inside, but I'm in the process of rehoming them so I can concentrate on my coturnix. I only have 2 females left.

I converted a large tote into an enclosure for them. The top is hardware cloth and I put small cardboard boxes and some fake plants in for hiding places.

Thanks guys. I know this is controversial, but I will be keeping my button's outside when the weather permits. I am working on a tiny tractor pen for them so they can be happy outdoor quail sometimes. I will order plants and things from Chewy today. Thank you guys!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I know this is controversial, but I will be keeping my button's outside when the weather permits. I am working on a tiny tractor pen for them so they can be happy outdoor quail sometimes. I will order plants and things from Chewy today. Thank you guys!!!!!!
As long as they're warm, they're happier outside. Nothing wrong with that!

Back
Top Bottom