Button Quail pics, now 5 weeks old! *UPDATED with New Pics!*

Hey it looks like I can post pics now. These are pics of my nine buttons. Can anyone help me with what color they might grow up to be?

77741_dsc00914.jpg

77741_dsc00912.jpg

77741_dsc00911.jpg

I hope you can see them. Thanks you

It looks like you do have some cinnamon, a cinnamon tuxedo/pied, 2 red breasted, a normal blue breasted, and if one is all black or dark then that is a blue face, if there is yellow, it can pied or a tux.

ETA: if the chicks are dark with stripes, they are normal blue breasted/wild-type

It's easier to tell once they do get older
smile.png

Last edited:
Can or should I take a little white beach Sand out of my backyard and put it in with my baby button quail so that they can take a dirt bath in it? Will it hurt them? They seem to like to dust off in their food. Also, I ordered a cage offline and it has a wire top but it's low like 11 inches cause it said it was made for quail; will they still boink their heads on it? And when I put them in the cage when they get bigger can I use ground up corncobs instead of shredded wood?

Thank you

Quote:
they are a bit too young for sand. Adults can have the corn cob bedding. As long as the cage doesn't have a wire bottom you are set. The bars need to be small too as these little boogers don't grow very big and squeeze through things easily. As the babies get used to you, you shouldn't experience that bad of boinking.

Thank you for the answer. The cage is 1/2 x 1" and it doesn't have wire bottom; has nice pull out tray with escape prevention flap so makes it easy to clean and collect eggs if I even get a girl. I know you said put them in pairs but i probably won't get equal match of boys and girls: of course I know i won't since I have odd number of chicks: how many boys can you put in one bachelor pad? Also I hate to think they would have to be caged in small confines all their lives so can I build something like a chicken run outside when it gets warmer and put them out to play all together? I don't mean all the time just like a couple hours a day to exercise. Or just in pairs? Sorry for all the questions

But thanks again

Last edited:
Quote:
Each pair will be fine in a small enclosure. If you want to take them out in a bigger place, I suggest doing just bachelors or a pair. Once those boogers find their mate, they don't want anyone touch him without getting a smacking.

Back
Top Bottom