Buttons galore! PICS added 6-3-11

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CherokeeTradition, May 29, 2011.

1. CherokeeTradition

CherokeeTradition Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Well my buttons have multiplied, lol. I started out with 4 a
    Now I have 5 more I brought home a couple of days ago. I'll add pics as soon as I can get to the library, tried with this phone but it wasn't feeling cooperative.

I also just popped 8 eggs from a pair of the originals into my hova bator, so excited! I have really falle in love with these guys, so amusing!

EDIT: Pics added!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If ANYONE could give me a heads up on color names/ genders I would greatly appreciate it, as I didn't previously have any of these colors before. Please look over the messy cage in the last few, I have changed it since then, sooo tired as I had more thrust upon me three days ago & it has been nonstop preparations!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

It is always exciting!! Enjoy your new additions and good luck with your hatch!!

3. CherokeeTradition

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Awww, thanks! Adding some pics of them while I am out & can use wifi. Hopefully these are all buttons, as the guy said all of the small ones were, lol.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I see males and females so you might as well start pairing them up while you are at it.

5. glscottjr

glscottjr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Very cute pics. [​IMG]

In pics 3 and 4 they are similer in color but one has a black head and the other doesn't. Are they male and female or just different colors? Just curious.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:The one with the slightly darker head is a normal red breasted hen and the lighter head markings is a cinnamon.

7. CherokeeTradition

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Wow, thanks quaillady! -beams in delight- I have fallen so hard for these little guys & want to pair them off asap if I can determine which are males & females. The brown male is pretty obvious but other than that I find myself pretty clueless, lol. I have 9 eggs incubating and the wild hen is laying again now & acting like she may set this time!

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:In photo 8, the two on the left are both boys if that helps you a little. Red vents are good indicators, or the bibs (although some hens have pseudo bibs nowadays). [​IMG] beautiful birds!

9. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Can you pair them up ? then like boy girl or like 3 girls and one boy ?

even though i let mine all together

but it might be nice to pair up ones and see what sort of chicks will hatch

10. CherokeeTradition

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I thought the one might be a bluefaced male but I am not so confidant in my quail sexing abilities just yet, lol. I feel blessed to have them as I tried to find some for 15 years. I have two males each with one bum leg that were born that way & they are no less precious to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by