buy incubator or build one

that is nice i believe i might have to build me one can i out of plywood

IMHO I think that those people that might buy a bator are,a.) not adept with using tools nor able to research on how to build one...b.) one could always sell a name-brand like HOVABATOR easily on Ebay; just in case they either decide it's too much work or they upgrade to something bigger/better? I've bought and built in the past and recently bought some replacement parts and some scrounged materials and made a "cabinet" style incubator;capable of hatching 256 large grade A chicken eggs. I'm next going to build a contraption for guinea incubation/brooding.

I am a first time hatcher. I do not have the funds to buy an incubator if I wish to spoil my babies, so I made one of Miss Prissy's chick bators. I spent about $15 in total, and had a 95% hatch (1 out of 11 didn't make it). I love my incubator, and will never buy a store one. I just purchased an old coleman cooler, and have designs on making it into a bator for next year.. I don't think homemades are for experts, but be prepaired to have a 0% hatch just in case. Good luck!!! Steph

thank yall for your replies and help i will begin making it in the morning but do you think a exhaust fan for a bath might be to big for it i plain on making it out of 3/4 plywood about 3ft by 3ft by 3ft go ahead and make it big if i need it in the future

When I built my last incubator, to use as a hatcher, I built it using a digital thermostat from GQF, 250 watt heating element , and a bathroom exhaust fan. I built a shelf in the top with the exhaust fan pulling air through holse drilled in the rear of the shelf. Then placed a divider on the shelf with the outlet of the fan blowing through the divider, across the heating element. The air after being heated blows across the the humidity pan and the air is forced back down into the lower portions of theincubator through holes drilled for that purpose. If you look at a 1502 sportsman, it is very simular to that design. The only expence really was the thermostat. But I personally believe that it is the most important part of the incubator. This system varies less than half a degree and gives excellent hatching resulsts. I could have bouught one of the Hovabators for about the same amount of money. But I wouldn't have enjoyed the process of building it and and it would definately not last as long as the one I built, not to mention a much larger capacity. So if you are handy with tools and have a touch of electrical knowledge it is easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom