Buyer Beware!!!...Chicken Coops NW

I think a lot of us feel this way. I almost bought one of those things and luckily came here first. It was a pain building a nice coup and run, but not that hard. I had a chance to work with one of those pre fab units over the holiday weekend. Neighbors out of town and I tended their six chickens. What a cheap piece of crap. A strong wind would blow it away. Cheap wire, wood so thin a cat could chew threw it. cheesy hardware. I think he paid $300 for it at the feed store.

Let alone putting six adult chickens in it. And another thing, we got our chickens at the same time and his look stunted. Much smaller. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

The feed stores and supply chains know they are crap and they sell them anyway. anything to get you to buy those initial chicks...then the feed, scratch, water systems....etc. And they get away with it every day. Oh they act all friendly, but we are just suckers, otherwise they wouldn't sell them. They know.

These so called coups are sold everywhere and they sell them to people who don't know any better. The people are ripped off....and the chickens suffer. I have seen people making coups out of the strangest things here. Dog houses, old swing sets, you name it. Its not hard to get creative and you just don't need to spend that much money.

If you charged it on a credit card, call the credit card company and tell them of your problem. The credit card company should give you a credit and go after the company for a refund.
I think maybe too much time has passed because I purchased it back in on Feb 7th?

:goodpost:@ Creek_Crazin ess :welcome Glad you joined sorry you got took .:hit there are other venues to rate this products . Do a BYC review . Just click on reviews and write one and rate the product .You'll reach more members and first timers there .Also find any place on line they advertise. Rate the product there . Anywhere you can rate the product do it . Also see if there are BBB rated. If so file a complaint there . If they are in your state take them to small claims court . They are advertising falsely .If a product doesn't do what they say it will do that is false advertising. This is the kind of thing first timers need to know I don't think the people that build them have chickens . Rabbit hutches are the same . The best light weight construction material is pressure treated fence planks and hard wire cloth . It isn't cheap to build a long lasting coop . But it's cheaper than buying one that just won't last. These companies bank on first time chicken owners and the fact that several lose interest quick. I wouldn't have one of their products. Or any other prefab for that matter .
I have contacted my credit card company! I have pictures and emails to back up my complaints so I'm feeling hopeful! I will also "try" to post it on the reviews page. I'm a rookie. :D

I think a lot of us feel this way. I almost bought one of those things and luckily came here first. It was a pain building a nice coup and run, but not that hard. I had a chance to work with one of those pre fab units over the holiday weekend. Neighbors out of town and I tended their six chickens. What a cheap piece of crap. A strong wind would blow it away. Cheap wire, wood so thin a cat could chew threw it. cheesy hardware. I think he paid $300 for it at the feed store.

Let alone putting six adult chickens in it. And another thing, we got our chickens at the same time and his look stunted. Much smaller. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

The feed stores and supply chains know they are crap and they sell them anyway. anything to get you to buy those initial chicks...then the feed, scratch, water systems....etc. And they get away with it every day. Oh they act all friendly, but we are just suckers, otherwise they wouldn't sell them. They know.

These so called coups are sold everywhere and they sell them to people who don't know any better. The people are ripped off....and the chickens suffer. I have seen people making coups out of the strangest things here. Dog houses, old swing sets, you name it. Its not hard to get creative and you just don't need to spend that much money.
You are fortunate! I was not that smart. :barnie The one we have will not last long, that's for sure. Hoping my credit card company will work it out!

:goodpost:@ Creek_Crazin ess :welcome Glad you joined sorry you got took .:hit there are other venues to rate this products . Do a BYC review . Just click on reviews and write one and rate the product .You'll reach more members and first timers there .Also find any place on line they advertise. Rate the product there . Anywhere you can rate the product do it . Also see if there are BBB rated. If so file a complaint there . If they are in your state take them to small claims court . They are advertising falsely .If a product doesn't do what they say it will do that is false advertising. This is the kind of thing first timers need to know I don't think the people that build them have chickens . Rabbit hutches are the same . The best light weight construction material is pressure treated fence planks and hard wire cloth . It isn't cheap to build a long lasting coop . But it's cheaper than buying one that just won't last. These companies bank on first time chicken owners and the fact that several lose interest quick. I wouldn't have one of their products. Or any other prefab for that matter .
Can't figure out how to do a BYC review. :hitTips?

Click on reviews and then click on the blue button that says create an item . Pick poultry products and supplies . Click on that and follow the guide lines of the format . But first do a search of reviews and see if anyone else has already reviewed the coop .If there is a recent review just reply to it .
Can't figure out how to do a BYC review. :hitTips?
Oops should have inserted the quote first :lau:oops:

You are fortunate! I was not that smart. :barnie The one we have will not last long, that's for sure. Hoping my credit card company will work it out!

As someone who takes credit cards ........ you have a year to return it, they have no choice but to refund you due to shoddy material. No choice, it is in everyone's fine print that take credit cards when they sign the paperwork to accept credit cards through whoever company processes the cards. Document all communication......when they refuse, call the CC company and have the charge reversed. Be nice. Documentation of the crappy material and workmanship is important. They will immediately return your CC payment and start an inquiry. if indeed the coup is shoddy, or mis represented, you will get the refund despite the vendor trying to fight it.....even if the company refuses to take it back. You hold all the cards. Anytime anyone buys something of value.....always use a CC, there is a lot of protection in it. Let them know you know your rights and I would be surprised if they don't change their tune.

In over 25 years in business I have only had one questionable situation. It doesn't happen that often and the CC processing companies listen to you. For all you know ....you aren't the only one.

You aren't the only one. Check out Yelp and my recent post about them under their other name: My Urban Farmers:

I didn't do my research and I was taken by Nicole and Alan Hyatt. Their website makes them sound like a reputable, highly-recommended company--they're not. If you read the posts here, on Yelp, and the Better Business Bureau, you get the real story. They are (in my opinion) scam artists trying to make a quick buck.

My story: I purchased a coop from them that I was told to expect within six weeks. 10 weeks later, no coop. I cancelled my order after finally reading reviews and realizing I was unlikely going to get a quality product if I received one at all. Their excuses for the delay are the same as they were a year ago--coop redesign. Also, if I waited any longer, I would be subject to their draconian return policy--25% cancellation fee. My chicks are now in a new home, but it was quite the hassle to get my money back and find something similar at a good price. Like many people, I was drawn to Chicken Coops NW because the prices were so reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Here are some observations on why you should stay away from this business:

1. They've changed their company name and website to avoid being associated with the "F" rating they received from the Better Business Bureau: Farm To Barn Hay Company, My Urban Farmers, and Chicken Coops NW. They are an LLC--not accredited.

2. All addresses associated with their business are incorrect (one is the local McDonalds!!). PS - I have their actual address--PM me if you need it.

3. They live on a small residential lot--it is unclear where they're making all these chicken coops. It's more likely that they are buying bulk, factory seconds (regardless of the country of orgin) and then passing them on as home-made. This is my guess.

4. Many people report that it takes three months to recieve their order. This is consistent with a business that wants to wait out your VISA's 60-day fraud period (the period in which you can get your money back from your credit card company), leaving you at the mercy of their purchase agreement.

5. Their facebook and business website(s) only post glowing reviews. They seem to delete negative comments from facebook. They report negative posts on Criagslist, etc... Did I mention that they advertise their coops on Ebay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc..., etc...?

6. Their negative reviews: Yelp, YouTube Video of Product

I could go on and on. Please do not buy a coop from this company.

Back
Top Bottom