Buying a pony in bad shape

Unfortunately, some people lie. I would find a vet that will do a pre-purchase exam for you. While that may cost you $200 or more, depending on where you are, you are making a big commitment and that is really a small price to pay to know what you are getting into. It may be simply neglect and he will be fine, but it could be more and end up costing you both financially and emotionally. I bought a horse many, many years ago that was in very sad shape, after determining that it was just from neglect and he was sound otherwise. He needed time, feeding and care and he was ultimately wonderful. But during recovery he colic-ed and also had a bout of large scary hives.
As hard as it is, making an emotional decision about an animal like a horse can have terrible consequences. That looks like more than 3 weeks of neglect to me, but the saddle in the first picture is hiding a lot. People lie about age also, if he's older, has not had teeth floated and is having a hard time feeding, that could also contribute. I have called animal control on horses that look like this before, did not feel bad about it at all. The animal deserves better.

They live a few hours away so I won't be able to go back until at least next weekend anyway.
YorkshireCoop-it can't be fixed in 2 weeks, but do you think it was honestly caused in 2-3 weeks?
It CAN happen that quickly especially if there is no access to water.

If you decide to get him, I always fed small amounts several times a day over a couple of weeks - the horse's stomach has been empty too long. By then, the animal has adapted to the food change and could go back on a more regular feeding schedule. After that, they would get free choice on hay and pasture.

I've had over 100 horses and ponies at one time, but on 200 acres worth of pasture on a 500-acre place. I would often get calls from people telling me about a horse that was in bad shape or from the humane society to foster one. It does take time, but I never found any that didn't turn into a decent horse with care.

No I personally think that has been caused by more than 2 weeks of neglect for the pony.

Could you organise a vet to do some blood work where he is now? Or even get him fully vetted so you know it’s something that can be out right? In my opinion the people you are buying him from should be doing that especially as he looks like he does.
I did contact a vet closer to the horse but they probably won't get back to me until Monday

They were moving the horse to another location when I left yesterday, plus there's another horse on the property that I'm trying to persuade then to sell me. I'm not about to offend them. The mom and kids seemed like decent human beings and they planned to settle the matter of the horses condition themselves.
They are not decent if they let an animal get into that state.

From the first post:
The owner is a kid and his mom pays relatives to care for the horse on their property but when we got there they had trouble finding him.

Looks like the owner (child) and parent trusted the relatives to care for the horse, but did not see it often. OP might be right that they're decent people--the problem is the folks caring for the horse, who are NOT the actual owners. The actual owners are at least doing one thing right: selling the horse, to get it out of that situation.

I would definitely get a vet involved before committing to purchase. You never know. May just be a case of neglect and with TLC there is a diamond in that rough skinny coat.

I feel your pain. I'm pretty much a soft touch for a cause like this guy. If the vet says he just needs a good worming, good food and a lot of love, I'd have him out of there faster than you can say saddle up.:hugs Bless you. Hope it works out.

I don't think this horse has some horrible disease. To me it looks like this horse just needs good quality feed and the correct amount of it. He is only 3 so he's also growing. If you get him, introduce the quality feed slowly--that will help eliminate chance of colic and laminitis.

Horses are always a gamble. I think with him your chances are good for a recovery. You could get a pre-purchase exam and check his bloodwork or just get him and give him the groceries he needs. This is just me personally, but I would take a chance on him and get him out of that situation. But you need to do what you feel is right!

Good luck going forward!

Went to see him again today and he's gained some weight back! Also got to ride him and he's extremely calm and responsive! He may just work out!
20191019_141044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom