Buying a pony in bad shape

Whatever it is about this horse, he has captured my heart completely. What a doll. He's about the size my Appaloosa/Morgan cross mare and since I'm only 5'2" tall, that was all the horse I needed to have a good time...and not a long fall to the ground that inevitably happens.

I am so very glad that you found him and he as a second chance at a good life. No doubt you will shower him with love and all things good as far as food and care are concerned.

While he doesn't look GREAT yet, I think he looks far better than his first pictures and there is no denying that his coat has a nice shine to it.

I'll be checking in tomorrow for an update. Until then does this boy have a new name to go along with his new life?

The night before his vet appointment this poor boy hung himself in a fence by the neck and one hoof and collapsed...it could easily have been the end of him had we not gone for an extra evening check.
Vet says he needs groceries and some wormer, then he got vaccines, some slight dental work, and compliments on how easy he is to get along with! We moved him to another place with a stall, smaller run, and no gate gaps, that is also conveniently down the road from the vet. She said the feeding plan I'm already following is just right and that he has some minor front limb deformities (his feet turn slightly inward), but it shouldn't be a problem because he's not a performance horse. Also the scrapes from the fence incident aren't too bad and the slight swelling on the sides of his head should go down in a couple of days.
She also said she will be very surprised if he gets any taller but it could happen. My fingers are crossed for a miracle lol. He has been renamed Canelo and won the hearts of my husband, both parents, one vet, and 2 large animal techs. He hasn't been drugged and his good behavior has continued, he really seems as close to bombproof as a 3 year old can be.
Thanks everyone so much for the advice, opinions, and positive vibes! Please pray that he doesn't keep being accident prone, my heart can't take another incident like the other night.

20191028_120044.jpg
20191028_122614.jpg

Sticking legs through plank fencing leading to lacerations, stone bruises, rolling on a roofing nail leading to an abcess. Sticking head through corral planks leading to scrapes, slipping on pavement and dumping us both on the road. You name it, my horse did it all. They seem to come programed to do stuff to themselves and to their owners also. Kinda like big dumb dogs. :love you just can't help but love them.

You can see the turned in hoof on the one pic. I would think a good farrier would be able to help that with frequent trimmings and corrective shoeing.

:hugs:hugsto you your family and Canelo. May you all live long and prosper!

"If there's a way a horse can hurt himself, he'll find it." Don't know who first said that, but it's one of those sayings that have been echoing through barn aisles for ages.:rolleyes:

My miniature horse Blondie somehow managed to get both feet on one side tangled in a hay net. When I found her, she was nearly upside down, and the ground around her was so torn up, it was clear she'd been that way for a while. With my heart in my throat, I cut her free. She got up, stumbled out into the barn yard, and went down again, and I thought, "my poor baby, you're as good as dead, you just don't know it yet." Scary, scary, scary - she spent a couple of weeks in the back yard, lying down a lot at first, then spending more and more time on her feet. The day I saw her trot across the yard, I was like:celebrate. She made a full recovery, but I think her small size is what saved her life.

When you said Canelo got hung up, I had a flashback to that incident.:oops:

So glad you made that late visit to check on him!!!

Hopefully, he's through trying to give you a heart attack, and will just put on weight and be loving and lovely from here on out.:fl

To be honest my heart honestly sunk reading the first bit of that first line because I was thinking oh my gosh no. I am so extremely happy that you got to him in time and he's okay now though- prayers for this fella's safety by all means. I think over it a little and maybe it's just the fact he's changed environments and everything is so new- maybe he got confused and just needs to settle in. Like I said, I'll be praying he gets comfortable and settles in to his surroundings and feels safe/secure.

:thumbsup GOOD ON YOU having a breakaway halter though- my aunt used to drill it into my head that she'd seen too many horses get stuck on fences or trees, or go to scratch their face and get a hoof caught. I'm grateful for her lessons in safety nonetheless.

I adore his new name, and the photos of that soft face just melt my heart. Give that sweet boy some kisses on the muzzle and lots of pets! His expression and face honestly reminds me of part QH still. I'm glad other than his accident, that he's had good behavior and been so gentle. And again, big thumbs up for adopting Canelo in and providing him a loving home.

(Remember: Photos never get old!) :pop

Back
Top Bottom