Buying a pony in bad shape

Reading over briefly and looking at his photos, this guy definitely needs some weight on him. Not sure if you are able to do the pre-purchase exam but...If you do bring him home, first thing go ahead and get a veterinarian established. Have them evaluate the horse including feet and teeth. Check for parasites. If you have any other horses, keep him quarantined right now. Talk to your veterinarian about a healthy weight for him and what they recommend for feeding regimen. Wishing you all the best and so glad you're considering taking this fella in. Keep us posted please!

EDIT: Noticing his low hanging head in the photos- has he been alert when you've seen him, or mainly seemed tired/out of it? I would make sure to mention lethargy to the vet if it is an issue and try to narrow down what may be the cause.

He's home, has a vet appointment Monday, and is chowing down on some timothy hay in my friends QT pasture. Also he was the very best boy throughout the travel process, even unloading in the dark in a strange place with unfamiliar livestock without freaking out! Except for untying himself, apparently he's a smart alec.
Please excuse the trailer, it was short notice.
Any guesses on breed? I asked the kid and he said sorrel. We're in Texas and quarter horses are pretty common
Kind of terrified of what the vet is going to say, hopefully he just needs TLC and some wormer.
20191026_180041.jpg
20191026_194131.jpg

He likely has some QH in him, but every horse is not a result of a purebred breeding a purebred. He might be a "mutt" for several generations back... Heinz57 horses are often referred to as Grade on any paperwork (Coggins, HC, etc.). He is a sorrel, which is a color.

I do not get the feeling from just looking at him that anything is deathly wrong with him. He just needs some good groceries, probably a dewormer and maybe a float. I bet he will turn out to be a gorgeous guy in a few months!

I'm sorry for the kid who lost his pony.

I'm sorry for the pony, having to endure the last few months.

I hope this works out well for all concerned; waiting to hear what the vet has to say.:fl

As to breed? All scrawny horses kinda look alike. How tall is he? If he truly is only 3 1/2, he may yet grow a bit taller with some decent feed and care.

The word "sorrel" usually just refers to coloration but I can't place my finger on a breed- I'd say QH mix but knowing the height and also seeing the horse filled out and healthy would really help place a breed. Fingers crossed for a good vet check @ABS9590 and hopefully it goes smooth and maybe a farrier check would be in order too at some point :fl

Back
Top Bottom