Buying a used coop, should I treat it?

scrapnfool

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Rogersville, MO
My husband and I just found a wonderful new coop that we will be having delivered to our home this week. It has been used over the past two years and we thought we should treat it somehow for any kind of pests or disease before exposing our chickens to the coop. However, we don't have any idea what we should do. We have no reason to believe that there is a problem, just want to be cautious. Anyone have suggestions?

Well-I personally would. You don't know if that person's flock was killed off by maybe some bactria or something else. And you don't know when it was used last. I would wash it down really good with a bleach water mix and let it air dry for a couple days.

Oh, I do know the reason they're selling the coop is because they are having to move out of state and don't want to take the coop with them. The chickens were running around in the yard looking perfectly healthy to me. But like I said, I'm new to this as we just started the chicken adventure in February. Just got our first egg a week ago.
wee.gif
We have 10 BOs and 6 RIRs with 6 silkies in the basement waiting for a home outdoors! They are 7 weeks old and needed to be out of the house!

Quote:
Me too. It won't hurt anything, and IF there was a problem (one that you couldn't see), then you've dealt with it. It's probably fine, but a good cleaning is always a good thing.

I'd also slap a couple coats of paint on the interior, but that's just me...

Back
Top Bottom