Buying a vacuum, best one for pets?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by krcote, Nov 14, 2010.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I like cannister but DH likes upright- what are you all using that is the best of either? Needless to say we have lots of dog and cat hair on floors and furniture. Need something that does all surfaces well. Thanks!

2. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Don't know how it would be for pets because we don't have any inside, but Dyson's are awesome. We have one and it gets sooooo much junk out of the carpets. It's amazing.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I can't get our pets to use either one.

[​IMG]

4. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I use the biggest Sears shop vac. Sucks those chickens right in. Dogs don't like it though. Does suck hair really well though.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dyson Animal

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We have a Kenmore upright. It does great with regular vacuuming, but we can't get it to suck up the cat.

7. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I have a *very expensive* Kirby. It does it's job very well. You can buy a "hard floors attachment" or whatever, but I just use the hose and the drapes attachment, and it works to pull all the cat hair out of the corners and cracks in my wood floor no problem. It also comes with a shampooing attachment, but that sort of sucks so we don't really use it that often.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dyson, but get one that has self-propulsion. We went for the one that was a little cheaper and while it works incredibly well, it is a pain to push around. It is difficult enough that my kids literally aren't able to vacuum.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ditto!

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I have a Rainbow that works really well on pet hair. Iit uses water instead of a filter. So, everytime I vaccum I have to go dump it out in the compost pile. I can't put it in the toilet because there's always a lot of hair. I have 1 dog and 2 cats. I liked my upright because I could just vaccum and go on with my day. No dumping until it got full. The only problem was, it didn't really get anything clean!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by