buying feed from a feed company Much cheaper but is it better?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by littlequail21, Mar 3, 2012.

1. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    with the price of feed going up and owning so many birds i have found a feed mill that sells there own feed. they do many livestock feeds and am Quickly buying 95% of all my feed there. i have had No problems, and i find the feed to smell sweet i like the size of the pellet/crumble and my chickens Seem to do great on it. However it is indeed Medicated. but for the price i cant beat it. its medicated with Amprolium used to help with coccidiosis. now they sell "Layer" and "20% starter grower" and i would like to know if i can also use this feed for ducks and geese, and yes i could ask the company, but of course they will say yes so i want to ask you. here is the Analysis of the 20% starter/grower

crude protein...........not less than 20.00%
    crude fat...................not less than 7.50%
    crude fiber.............not more than 6.00%
    calcium.................not less than 0.50%
    calcium.................not more than 1.00%
    phosphorus........not less than 0.50%

Medicated with amprolium..........0.1375%

and now i came up with a even better idea as i write this out, scan it. let me know if you think this is a good idea and can i feed this to ducks or geese.

as for price this is $10.50 per 50 pounds

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/snakegirlBannermaker/syfrettfeedco.jpg

2. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    from what the tag says on your feed sack.it looks tobe a real good feed.an the protine level is real good.i dont see why you cant feed it to your geese.

3. littlequail21

Jul 12, 2011
    this is the starter grower, i yet to get a tag for the layer pellets, but i really do like this feed.

4. littlequail21

Jul 12, 2011
    from what i have read some people say dont feed medicated to geese why?

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Since waterfowl consume more food than chickens they could consume a lethal dose of some older medications. Amprolium is the most common coccidiostat used now & it is not harmful to waterfowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by