1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying Guinea Fowl..??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Ekagj, Jan 2, 2013.

1. johnnybee

johnnybee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2012
    My guineas don't lay until spring March or April. I do sell older guineas and keets in the spring&summer. I have pearl, lavender, royal purple, white, buff, and several of those colors in pied. I do not ship and they are available for pickup after two weeks old. After reaching two weeks guinea keets are among the hardiest of all fowl.

2. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sending you a PM!

3. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Got it!

4. BSisco

BSisco Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Cullman, AL
    I'm in the Cullman Alabama area and looking for eggs to hatch. We are just starting, and after seeing some pics of the colors we would LOVE to start with a few of them and not just the plain ol ones from TSC. Thanks in advance for any advice and help!!!

5. busyh

busyh New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    I have ordered keets from WI. I did a lot of research and although they don't start supplying until May they seem to be a good company with competitive prices and reasonable shipping prices. Also they have a smaller shipping quantity than most. I was disappointed to have to wait until May but I am in the process of building my coop and run so I can take my time. It also gives me time to get my garden going so everything for a reason right? Good luck I am also new to this and I am really excited to get my keets.

6. JLeigh

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    BSisco: Have you set up your brooder and heat lamp, etc? Research caring for keets until they're fully feathered, and find a source for high protein feed. They need minimum of 26% protein; a good game bird starter will provide that. Make sure you don't use any wood shavings as a bedding in the brooder for the first two or three weeks. Keets might eat it, become impacted and die. Use a NON-SLICK surface, like rubber shelf liner or towel or textured paper towels - keets will slip on (for example) newspaper, and it will cause foot and let problems.

After that, you have to keep them confined for six weeks in your pen/coop so they learn where "home" is.

There are many articles on the internet. Just key in "Caring for guinea keets" and a ton will pop up. This is a good site below:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/#pictures

but there are many others to check out.

Sorry if you know all this already [​IMG]. Setting up your coop and run before getting guineas is a great idea. Just watch your temperatures.

What colors and how many guineas are you wanting?

7. BSisco

Feb 2, 2013
    Cullman, AL
    We are working on our coop over the next few weeks, that's why I wanted eggs to hatch out, plus we will be able to handle them to make them more tame (one of my girls is intimidated by farm birds). Thanks for all the tips, we are new to farm birds, or animals for that matter, but thought it would be good for the kids and great for pest control. Just a little family adventure that might turn into more...lol. Thanks again!!!!

8. JLeigh

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Handling guineas to make them tame is not easy!. It's been done, for sure, but I can't imagine handling keets enough to make them tame. Those little "rascals" (I have a special "B" name for them outside this forum) can FLY at two or three weeks and they will. They act as though you're a hawk swooping down to make them lunch, jumping all over everywhere to get away from you. It's like popping corn without the lid on the pan. lol. Your daughter may or may not like that...

When they're older in the pen and coop during the six to eight week confinement time, you can build trust by hanging out with them and not making any sudden moves. They'll get used to you and maybe even take treats from your hands. That's when it starts to get really fun in my opinion.

Chickens are a lot easier to tame (they're smarter, too), but I never had success with that either until they figured out I'm the one with the corn scratch bucket. They'll hop in my lap for THAT. Guineas will be great for insect control, and you and your kids will love them for their quirky personalities, but they aren't chickens. Don't expect too much in the way of friendliness or companionship from them.

I can't stress doing research on these birds before you get them strongly enough. It seems you're doing that, so when you get them, you'll know what to expect and be prepared. They aren't difficult, but you need to know what the pros and cons are so you aren't sitting there with a flock of birds that you don't want and either have to eat or re-home, or you open the door to your pen and they fly away, never to be seen again.

Has anyone mentioned how very very loud these birds are? :).

9. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope you will consider NC guinea breeders next time!

10. BSisco

Feb 2, 2013
    Cullman, AL
    I'm fairly familiar with guineas. My grandparents had them when I was young, and my dad has them now. I do know that they are noisy, that's part of the reason that I only want a few to put with chickens. All that being said, I agree that doing the research is the best and taking one step at a time is as well. Since we are getting chickens for eggs and pets, I will probably wait until next season, or late this summer, before getting guineas. I don't want to get overwhelmed and feel like I have made a mistake. The birds are the ones who will suffer and I don't want that. Thank you for your advice!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by