Buying TSC Chicks Monday!!! Questions to ask and what to look for.

Lots A Cluckin

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Hi, I have never owned chickens before (I have the whole story with often updates about my chicken journey in my journal, the link is below in my signature) and I am planing on getting several chicks at Tractor Supply Co. on Monday morning as soon as they open because that is when they are getting a new shipment in. And if any of you guys have ever bought chicks from there what should I expect? what questions should I ask about the chicks? what do I need to look out for as far as sicknesses...and also what to look for between roo or hen (like wings head legs beak?)

I've bought chicks from TSC several times. They get their chicks from Mt. Healthy. Every week a different variety comes in. Some varieties are sexed & are usually $2.69 The straight run are usually $1.99 They have a fence around the bins now & you are not allowed to pick them out by yourself. It has been this way for 2 years now. I cannot sex st. run on day 2 when they come in by wing sexing, but at around days 4-5 they will grow wing feathers but then you might miss your breed by waiting. They do go fast & they never know what breed is coming in the next week. One short row of feathers on the wing is a roo. If there are two rows forming, one shorter than the other over lapping it is a hen. What you need is a worker willing to check for you or let you check as they are put in the box. I got a dozen aracauna's last week from them & they were too young since I got them date of delivery but I took a chance & have 9 hens & 3 roos which isnt bad. Dont forget to look for pasty butt. I pass on them

I was able to pick mine out of the bins after being let in by the manager ;)

Congrats on your new babies coming!!! Any in particular you are hoping for?

I've bought chicks from TSC several times. They get their chicks from Mt. Healthy. Every week a different variety comes in. Some varieties are sexed & are usually $2.69 The straight run are usually $1.99 They have a fence around the bins now & you are not allowed to pick them out by yourself. It has been this way for 2 years now. I cannot sex st. run on day 2 when they come in by wing sexing, but at around days 4-5 they will grow wing feathers but then you might miss your breed by waiting. They do go fast & they never know what breed is coming in the next week. One short row of feathers on the wing is a roo. If there are two rows forming, one shorter than the other over lapping it is a hen. What you need is a worker willing to check for you or let you check as they are put in the box. I got a dozen aracauna's last week from them & they were too young since I got them date of delivery but I took a chance & have 9 hens & 3 roos which isnt bad. Dont forget to look for pasty butt. I pass on them

thanks for the info...helped alot
goodpost.gif

I was able to pick mine out of the bins after being let in by the manager ;)

Congrats on your new babies coming!!! Any in particular you are hoping for?

thanks...I am hoping for Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, and I might get a Silkie if they have any more
woot.gif

i have gotten all of my chicks from TSC and www.Mthealthy.com They are good about what they sell and i have never had any problems. follow the directions for the chicks and you will have great success. if you don't mind waiting though or if you have a specific breed you want depending on the size i would order straight from the hatchery. you could even set up the date for this wednesday. just a suggestion. good luck with your chicks
wee.gif

thanks...I am hoping for Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, and I might get a Silkie if they have any more
woot.gif

Ooh! Good breeds! The RIR's will be in the red pullet bin (at least they are at my TSC) Do you know what they look like? They look a lot like the others.

What day does your TSC get their chick shipments? Mine gets them on Wednesday. The "featured" breeds are usually gone by Thursday, so whatever day your TSC gets their shipment go there THAT DAY! I was looking at getting Wyandottes last week. They got them Wednesday morning. I went in Thursday at around noon and they were gone. (But I got orpingtons at Lone Star, so
tongue.gif
)

Absolutely call ahead! (as previously suggested lichick28) And don't forget to check with other feed stores if TSC doesn't have the breeds you want.

I've bought chicks from TSC several times.  They get their chicks from Mt. Healthy.  Every week a different variety comes in. Some varieties are sexed & are usually $2.69 The straight run are usually $1.99   They have a fence around the bins now & you are not allowed to pick them out by yourself.  It has been this way for 2 years now.  I cannot sex st. run on day 2 when they come in by wing sexing, but at around days 4-5 they will grow wing feathers but then you might miss your breed by waiting.  They do go fast & they never know what breed is coming in the next week.  One short row of feathers on the wing is a roo. If there are two rows forming, one shorter than the other over lapping it is a hen.  What you need is a worker willing to check for you or let you check as they are put in the box.  I got a dozen aracauna's last week from them & they were too young since I got them date of delivery but I took a chance & have 9 hens & 3 roos which isnt bad.  Dont forget to look for pasty butt. I pass on them

They no longer get they from MT Healthy, at least not here in Ohio. They now get them from towline hatchery in Michigan

Back
Top Bottom