Buying week old chicks - Chicken math to end up with 2 pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michiele, Jul 14, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    We are buying some mix chicks (half buff cochin, half delaware) when they hatch at the end of July. I am trying to figure out the chicken math here:) We want to end up with 2 pullets. I am new to all of this, but I know that chicken math has to take into account the chances of pullets vs roos and chicks that keel over... so, how many chicks should I bring home???? I was thinking 5[​IMG] Advice here?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The chicken gods say no matter what you do, you will end up with twice what you wanted and too many roosters, but good luck with that.

2 pullets! [​IMG] No one who ever wanted just 2 chickens actually HAS only 2 chickens!

3. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Good luck with that! The first four chicks I got were all roosters!

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is... 42

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

in all seriousness though.. you only need to buy 2.. they just have to be the right 2

now the chances of buying the right 2 the first time.... well... not so good

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I say just get a dozen you will want more later on anyway, seriously. I just gave a friend 5 chicks, she ended up with 4 roos and 1 hen.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Yes, buy two! And then buy two more...and two more...and two more... and then one day, you'll be like "whoops, how did i end up with 76 chickens?" [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    When I see the words "chicken math" in your subject I had to come check out how many ya got cuz we all know Chicken Math doesn't add up! LOL I would take home 7 in hopes for 2 hens. The others should not be hard to sell.

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If you got 6, odds are half would be pullets, and one might die so you end up with 2. But you will want more anyway, so get a dozen.

10. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:Yes! That is the answer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by