by law guy giving me a hard time

dntd

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
Yesterday the bylaw guy came and said my temp run has to go (also said i would recieve a letter from legal department!), he took pictures of the hen's daytime shelter. He was telling me it wasn't allowed even though I even offered to show him thier home. The shelter we use used to be a lean to type structure with a plastic roof. We this weekend added chicken wire and a door, the chicken wire is not even wired togeter it's just to keep the chickens in incase of a hawk or I need to step out for a few seconds . The run is made with chainlink but no roof and not using the 6 foot kind either. The kicker is I was out with them too! Do they expect me to just throw them outside when I'm out? If I get a fine I will fight it, it's spieciest, ok for people to break the bylaw with cats,pigions,rabbits,turtles ect but my run is not allowed!Even if you complin about cat they won't do anything , our city has thousands all over!

Make him show you the laws/ordinances he is citing. I learned long ago that what an official tells you the law is and what the law actually is are not the same thing.

OR find a way to put it on wheels... then it wouldn't be a 'structure'... I don't know if that's what the problem is but around here if you want to build a fence, shed, TONS of stuff you have to have a permit or else you'll have to take down the whole thing (in case of a patio that would mean jackhammering out all the cement!) so they can then review the area and say 'okay now you can do it'... if that's the bylaw that's the problem then add wheels... tee hee can't ticket you for a wagon.
tongue.png

In our coop's case we're okay because building permits are not needed if A) the structure is less than 300sf AND B) it's at least 5' from the property line AND C) there's not another like it on the property... so we're okay on THAT front at least. Look up the EXACT rules and see whether they apply or not, you'd be surprised how many just assume something is 'wrong' but don't bother checking.

Back
Top Bottom