BYC Café

I just read your other post, Those are the breeds I would like to get next. Pretty birds.
I think it is random. Something causes the infundibulum to fold or get caught and it misses the corpus luteum.
hatchery stock would be my biggest guess as to why. They do not get to see their offspring grow up, so there is no culling of a producer that has chicks with issues.

There you go Eggsy...using those big words on me! Hatchery stock seemed to me to be a common denominator among some of the posts I read (and definitely my own). Something Speckledhen mentioned that made sense was to the effect that hatchery stock is bred for egg production and not for longevity.

Which brings me to another question...how do you know if you're dealing with a "hatchery" vs. a "breeder"? Are there industry standards or regulations required to be classified as one or the other? Can anyone call themselves a breeder? If regulations aren't in place, how would someone know (at least someone like me) they weren't getting hatchery stock from someone that calls themselves a breeder?

Would increasing the calcium intake for awhile help? They are mid season in the laying and if the calcium reserve is getting low, then it seems the eggs would be more likely to break inside of them.
Don't know, just guessing here as to maybe a contributing factor. I would give everyone yogurt with nonfat milk powder added . Some of my hens, the blue layers, for whatever reason, are getting thinner shells. ?????

One of the warning signs is soft shell eggs, which we had 2 birds experience before their other symptoms kicked in. They have 2 feeders full of crushed oyster shell always by their feeders and I have been giving them extra calcium in the form of yogurt, cottage cheese and the like.

I think it's true, if it's going to happen it is inevitable.

@NorthFLChick I really don't mean to be flippant in your hour of need, but my soup came out really well and I added a tbsp of dry sherry and chopped chives... I really really hope your chooks are all OK
bow.gif

Don't worry WW, you are fine. And I would love to have that soup recipe!

NFL just thought of something I read here what about tofu? - I used it when mine were sick but don't know - calcium works everywehere, GOOD GET UP AND GO STUFF - I wish you everything - bloody none breeder/fast buck people so hope you come right xxx

will send soup recipe is it ok here must I go somewhere else, have to feed DH AGAIN... want to
caf.gif
but have to go xxx

I think there are breeders locally that we need to just go visit.
Pampered poultry is west of us, and his chickens are pampered. He would know if his girls had issues.
That is where I plan on getting my eggs when it is time to replace.

There was one farm listed for Archer in the local harvest web site. I think if you go local, check out their stock and ask questions you will do well.
Have you been on the Florida thread? there are quite a few people in my area that breed birds, there may be more up your way.
There are some in the Jacksonville area including Dawg53, who if he doesn't know what you need to know, no one does.

I think there are breeders locally that we need to just go visit.
Pampered poultry is west of us, and his chickens are pampered. He would know if his girls had issues.
That is where I plan on getting my eggs when it is time to replace.

There was one farm listed for Archer in the local harvest web site. I think if you go local, check out their stock and ask questions you will do well.
Have you been on the Florida thread? there are quite a few people in my area that breed birds, there may be more up your way.
There are some in the Jacksonville area including Dawg53, who if he doesn't know what you need to know, no one does.

The place I noted a while back from the FL thread is in Newberry. I'll check out the Pampered Poultry place when we're ready. I didn't realize Dawg53 bred birds...I just knew he knows a LOT.
I'm not ready to start replacing my birds right now. I want to watch these remaining 12 like a hawk to see if anything else happens (praying it doesn't). I have the info now for submitting them for a necropsy if worse comes to worse.

Thanks for the info Eggsy.

I don't know if he breeds them but he will know who does in the area.

Good to know, thanks!

When you're ready to start over, are you going with fertile eggs or chicks? I'd like the experience of hatching some fertile eggs but haven't decided yet.

My broodies are not sticking it out as along as they used to, of course I pick them up explain to them that they are sitting on air and take them outside each day for fresh air, food and water.
Maybe I will get an incubator... I don't know yet. Or maybe I should start winding this farming thing down. It is difficult to get away.
I dunno.

My broodies are not sticking it out as along as they used to, of course I pick them up explain to them that they are sitting on air and take them outside each day for fresh air, food and water.
Maybe I will get an incubator... I don't know yet. Or maybe I should start winding this farming thing down. It is difficult to get away.
I dunno.

Would you want some more determined broody hens? Be careful what you wish for.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom