BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have a favor to ask of anyone that has some experience with egg yolk peritonitis. We've lost 3 (and suspect a 4th) girl to this...the latest one happened this morning. Trying to make some sort of sense of it, so if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a look at this post I threw out on the emergency forum?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1007973/eyp-deaths-trying-to-make-sense-of-them

I'd appreciate any insight you could give me. This is the part of having chickens that really stinks.

2. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    @NorthFLChick oh well lets just go for champagne then - not too good on the stuff 2 glasses I'm anybodys' if anyone is around lol

3. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    @NorthFLChick oh no how dreadful I am so sorry [​IMG] xx not experienced to help but I feel for you so much hope the others will be ok - someone will be bound to help

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    WW, that reminds me of our New Year's Eve toast. We did a take on mimosas but used grapefruit juice (in place of orange juice) and champagne...it was wonderful!

I know it sounds like we're real booze hounds but not at all. We like a single glass of wine about once a month (and the NYE thing, well, it was NYE).

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Speckled hen had some very good posts years ago about it. Maybe you can do some searches with her name included.
    From what I gleaned from the information, there isn't much that can be done. Once it starts it will continue to happen. Some hens are more prone than others.
    What breed do you have?

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    We are that way about alcohol too, NFC . We have a bottle of champagne in the refrigerator now that we meant to open for a birthday and did not get around to it.
    [​IMG]

I hit the quote button but It didn't ... I read these posts from the bottom up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've read a lot of her posts (she's a wonderful resource for so much) and from others. You're right...nothing really to do about it but maybe delay the end result (death). I'm just trying to figure out what to expect from our remaining flock. And if hatchery birds are more prone?

The breeds we have lost have all been different; BA, SS, BR and the suspected 4th girl was a RIR.

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I just read your other post, Those are the breeds I would like to get next. Pretty birds.
    I think it is random. Something causes the infundibulum to fold or get caught and it misses the corpus luteum.
    hatchery stock would be my biggest guess as to why. They do not get to see their offspring grow up, so there is no culling of a producer that has chicks with issues.

9. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Would increasing the calcium intake for awhile help? They are mid season in the laying and if the calcium reserve is getting low, then it seems the eggs would be more likely to break inside of them.
    Don't know, just guessing here as to maybe a contributing factor. I would give everyone yogurt with nonfat milk powder added . Some of my hens, the blue layers, for whatever reason, are getting thinner shells. ?????

10. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    @NorthFLChick I really don't mean to be flippant in your hour of need, but my soup came out really well and I added a tbsp of dry sherry and chopped chives... I really really hope your chooks are all OK[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by