Low: 64 °F
  • Monday

tropstorm-noh.png

Tropical
    Storm
    Conditions
    Possible
    High: 74 °F
Dunno why that got cut off, but from Saturday night on, there are these fuzzy blob symbols -
tropstorm-noh.png
"tropical storm conditions possible." I'm ardently praying that the storm goes well to the east.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Eggsy actually when you said cone _ I was thinking "killin' cone."
barnie.gif
I'm on BYC too long . Also I eat ice cream straight from the carton. Don't want those extra calories from cones.

Bunny get your water wings on and get out of Dodge - now!!

Diva, Bunny probably has too many crazed storm tourist blocking up the roads to get much of anywhere very fast.
I do hope that Bunny don't have any nasty weather to deal with for the rest of this year!
Scott (who lives too close to Wilmington for comfort)
Edit to add I remember Hugo and Charlotte NC back in '89

Last edited:
Quote: I remember Hugo, too. Several days before it made landfall, my husband looked at the forecast track and said, "that thing's going to Charleston." As it got closer to the coast, the weather guys kept saying , "it's gonna turn north, it's gonna turn north . . . . " but it was like it was on rails, it made a beeline for Charleston . My in-laws were living in Elizabeth City at the time (that's a relatively small town on a river mouth near the Virginia border), and they got all antsy about it; they decided to head inland - to Charlotte, where their daughter lives. My FIL kept urging us to head inland, but we told him we were far enough from the coast to avoid flooding, and the roads were too dangerous to drive by that time, anyway. Those of us who remember it know that Hugo blasted Charleston, then put down legs and took off running straight to Charlotte. My in-laws got stuck in a motel room in Charlotte for a week with no electricity and the roads impassable due to downed trees - and Elizabeth City was unscathed.
th.gif

Last edited:
And then there was Fran back in '96? She blew thru Wilmington on the way to mess with Raleigh.
A body can only guess what way to run, if you do run get far far away.
Scott (who is on high ground and normally far enough from the coast to watch from-afar)

My son was born in April of '96. When Fran was still well offshore, I got a phone call from my mother. "What are you going to do?" "What I want to do is run screaming for the hills, but as big as this beast is, I'm not sure even that would be far enough," I said. "Well, you know you can come here," she said. My parents lived in Newton Grove, which is a little more than an hour from here on I-40, on the way to Raleigh. That was what my husband and I eventually decided to do. At that time, we had far fewer animals than we do now, but we couldn't evacuate all of them, so we gave them food and water enough for a couple of days and hoped for the best.

The weather got a bit blustery at my parents' house by about 8 that evening. We monitored the progress of the storm on the television through steadily deteriorating conditions until the power went off at about 11:00, then went to bed.

Around 2:00, I woke up to hear the wind howling, and the occasional crack and crash of tree branches outside. As I continued to listen, the wind began dropping. I had weathered enough storms to know that, as big as Fran was, this couldn't possibly be the storm moving away - there was only one other possible explanation. "Great!" I thought. "The beastly thing followed us up the road!" Sure enough, about 20 minutes later, I heard the wind starting to pick up again as the eye passed over and the backside of the storm came over us.

The next morning, Newton Grove was a mess, but my husband managed to get out and head back to Wilmington. He reported that we had a couple of trees down, but other than the power loss, that was all. I stayed with my parents for a couple more days, then came home. We were without power for about 10 days, some folks were a lot longer than that. Power was restored along major corridors first, and between that and emergency generators, a lot of the stores managed to open. I can remember going grocery shopping with my little son and complete strangers asking how we were coping . . . . the sense of community in the aftermath of Fran was just incredible.

Last edited:
Glad to know you all are keeping an eye on the weather and sending you "stay safe" wishes.

I lived in Tornado Alley for many years before moving to FL. With those crazy things, you get next to zero warning and I've seen the devastation, not pretty.

I think any place you live, there's some natural disaster possibility so might as well stick with the devil you know.

Back
Top Bottom