BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    @NorthFLChick so sorry to hear of your well issues this morning! A bright spot - good thing it failed now rather than Thanksgiving or Christmas morning! I'm not sure how your holidays go, but I would have had a house full of people with no running water and a dinner to prepare. It would not have been a good situation! Hope you've got it all under control now, or on its way to being back up and running!

I had never heard about the connection between electrical elements and fire ants. I find the little buggers fascinating, but a bite ranks up there with poison ivy rash for me. I'm itchy for weeks after I'm bitten, so DH is perpetually treating mounds. We've found that the fire ants are much more prevalent on the surface if we have had a spell of rainy weather. If it has been dry for a long while they are virtually non-existent on the surface. DH says their underground networks range as far down as the water table, so they only surface when water is easily available there. I know water has an electrical charge - I wonder if there's a connection between their appearance around electrical elements and their search for water?

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Katharine, nice to see you here!

DH & I were talking about all the "worst" times this could have happened so the timing definitely isn't as bad as it could have been.

I think he's about done now! Yay, one step closer to being able to wash dishes and do laundry (and those are good things to be able to do).

Oh the things we take for granted...like running water.

3. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ahhhhhh....running water. What a wonderful thing!

Thanks for bearing with me in my grouchiness. The world is fine again [​IMG]

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] excellent!

5. willzpapa

willzpapa Papa Santee

Sep 26, 2015
    Hillbilly Heaven NC
    We do take running water for granted ,but I remember drawing water from the well here on the homeplace as well as having to venture out in the cold to use the privy LOL

6. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    So glad things are up and running for you!

And I wish everyone on earth were like you when they're "grouchy" @NorthFLChick ! The world would be a much nicer place!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    x2 x2 !!!!!

x2 x2 !!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Glad you have water again NFC.
    I found the onions. They were in a plastic bag twist tied, moldy and squishy.
    I am glad you reminded me to look.
    I guess I won't grow onions this winter.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Eggsy, do you want me to send you the "naughty " pepper seeds I forgot about ? They are from Pepper Joes. I'm sure you will have success in your climate.

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    red peter peppers?
    I grew some of those.
    They are indeed obscene. giggle giggle.
    But were way too hot to consume. I grew some lemon peppers thinking- lemon pepper. It was yellow fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by